Load Stress Causing Frequent System Crashes

Timothias

Beta member
I recently decided to do some upgrades custom build. I replaced everything but the GPU since it was only 3 months old, and the optical drive. Whenever I use anything stressful on my computer's CPU(i.e. watching Twitch.tv streams, playing video games like League of Legends) my computer will crash. This can force hard restarts, or it will sometimes reboot on it's own. I've received two kinds of BSOD's, x101 and x124, but they do not occur from most of the crashes. I do not crash on Youtube videos, average day to day websites, or any other basic programs.

I've been searching constantly through forums to find a solution to this problem for two weeks. I've run multiple tests including:

-switching to older GPU drivers
-making sure all chipset and network/audio/connection drivers are up to date
-Prime95(almost immediately crashes)
-Memtest86(did not run for too long, but it went fine. memory does not seem to be the problem)
-re-imaging the HDD 5 different times with full windows updates
-updating the BIOS
-taking the GPU out of the system and letting it run on integrated graphics(still crashed on prime95)
-formatting OS on new HDD(crashes still occurred)
-tried different PSU's
-double,triple,quadruple checking all hardware connections
-CPU temp and GPU temp are at optimal 25-35 degrees Celsius
-machine is free of dust
-underclocking the GPU with MSI afterburner
-changed out thermal paste for a different brand
-booting with only 1 stick of RAM
-Checking BIOS version(1801 for my MOBO, most current version is installed)
-All temperatures also seem to operating optimally as seen from HWmonitor

I'm out of options here. I work in IT and fix computer problems all day, but why it comes to my own setup baffles me. I brought my system into work with me and no one else could figure it out either.

Since I bought the parts under a 30-day return policy, I took back the CPU/MOBO/RAM to exchange for the exact same parts. IT STILL EXHIBITS THE SAME SYMPTOMS. Before that I was pretty sure it was just a faulty MOBO. Now I do not know what to think. Here are my specs:

-ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
-AMD FX6300 Black Edition(6 cores at 3.5Ghz each)
-CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU FAN/Heatsink
-NVIDIA MSI Geforce GTX 650
-Ballistix 2-4GB SPORT DDR3-1600 RAM(8GB)
-Inland ATX ILG-550OE Gold Series PSU (Microcenter Comp/ Electronics Store's house brand)
-Antec 900 tower
-LG DVD optical drive(only piece of hardware that is about 7 years old, tried disconnecting, but crashes still occur)
-Seagate 500GB HDD
-Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

Are you sure the RAM is compatible with the mobo and/or CPU?
Have you tried a more brand name, higher wattage PSU?

The PSU is new, the other older PSU I had was an Antec, and the same problems occurred.

The RAM should be compatible. I input my setup into pcpartpicker.com and they said it was compatible, and I bought the RAM in person at a parts store where they recommended the RAM for my setup. Besides, any DDR3 RAM within a certain threshold of hz (the Ballistix Sport RAM I'm using is at 1600) should work with my board, right?

Last edited:
The PSU is new, the other older PSU I had was an Antec, and the same problems occurred.

The RAM should be compatible. I input my setup into pcpartpicker.com and they said it was compatible, and I bought the RAM in person at a parts store where they recommended the RAM for my setup. Besides, any DDR3 RAM within a certain threshold of hz (the Ballistix Sport RAM I'm using is at 1600) should work with my board, right?

I thought I double checked the PSU. From what my friend and I could tell, it was the amperage acting too low with that terrible PSU. I checked at work with a new PSU as a last resort as per your suggestion, and it worked.

The amperage for the 12v rail was too low. It need to be around 21-25 instead of 18-21. I never thought to think of amperage when considering PSU's. Thanks so much for helping in solving my headache. Cheers.

I thought I double checked the PSU. From what my friend and I could tell, it was the amperage acting too low with that terrible PSU. I checked at work with a new PSU as a last resort as per your suggestion, and it worked.

The amperage for the 12v rail was too low. It need to be around 21-25 instead of 18-21. I never thought to think of amperage when considering PSU's. Thanks so much for helping in solving my headache. Cheers.

Always get a psu with a single 12v rail with atleast 30amps though higher would be better

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Always get a psu with a single 12v rail with atleast 30amps though higher would be better

Is that to say that PSU's with two 12v rails are bad? I know Intel Boards need them. The one i have is 23V and it is working fine now over the old one. Its a 600w Thermaltake TR2. Is 30 really necessary? Especially with my setup?

Is that to say that PSU's with two 12v rails are bad? I know Intel Boards need them. The one i have is 23V and it is working fine now over the old one. Its a 600w Thermaltake TR2. Is 30 really necessary? Especially with my setup?

Its not that they are bad its just psu with a single high amp 12v rail tends to last longer and supplies a more consistent/cleaner power (guys feel free to correct me if im wrong but thats what ive been told)

I'll definitely be looking for something with at least 35amp for my next PSU purchase. The nice corsair ones all have 40+ anyways and most likely support gaming computers better.

Back
Top Bottom