Graphics cards and processors

shawshaw

Beta member
Hi just joined and I'm not tech savvy, I have 2 questions. First question is about graphics cards do the R9 AMD series stack up against Nvidia cards?
Second question How does the AMD FX series processors stack up against Intel i5 and i7 are they good Ok or just stick with Intel? Any help will be much appreciated also any suggestions or websites to check out Thx alot

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Computer Forums mobile app

first question. the answer is yes although its a broad yes. r9 290x competes with the 780, r9 280x competes with 770 and so on. the r9 series are pretty good and they have mantle support if that interests you (mantle is an api like directx that boosts gaming performance for low end cpus mainly). generally though nvidia outperforms amd by a few frames and have more stable drivers. they are also less noisy and less power hungry. also amd has no answer for the 780ti currently.

second question. poorly. since the athlon, amd has been crushed by intel. my i7 920, a 7 year old cpu, is right behind the FX series in single core performance (almost outperforming it in some cases). the FX is no match for current haswell and ivy bridge e chips. intel clobbers amd in all but the most intensely multi threaded applications. basically stick with intel. chip to chip intel always wins.

Ok Thx alot that's very helpful

A friend of mine bought 3 of the r290 or 280's not sure but he wasn't impressed with them so he sold them and bought three 780's and he loves it, Much better performance..

If you are gonna mainly be doing gaming and are on a budget go with amd my $60 A6-5400k will keep up with the $140 i3-3220 plus mine is unlocked so i can over clock it to make it run even faster

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

I'll keep that info in mind I'm not exactly sure what the budget is yet you guys been a big help

I'm sorry dev but that apu will not keep up with even the slowest intel processors (celerons and really low end laptop cpus excluded. Its performance isn't bad but an i3 is vastly superior. you would have to go with the new a10 7850k to beat the i3 3220 and even then not by all that much. I say stick to intel. always. more future proof

I'm sorry dev but that apu will not keep up with even the slowest intel processors (celerons and really low end laptop cpus excluded. Its performance isn't bad but an i3 is vastly superior. you would have to go with the new a10 7850k to beat the i3 3220 and even then not by all that much. I say stick to intel. always. more future proof

Thats funny cause im using it right now with no issues. I have no issues what so ever and the A6 were dirrect competition for the i3. As i said mine is unlocked and only cost $60 i have it overclocked to 4ghz. But besides that i didnt tell him to buy my processor i said to do AMD cause they are a lot more budget friendly. And not to be an ass but for you to say that it wouldnt keep up with the slowest intel processors is proof enough that your just a fan boy. I have no preference and simply whent with AMD cause its what my budget allowed. But from what ive seen on these forums intel fan boys are very narrow minded

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

No doubt AMD has an outdated architecture, but Price/performance ratio, AMD and intel are kinda similar performing in benchmarks.
Some benchmarks AMD slightly beats it's price/performance counter part and some other benchmarks it's the other way around.

I think all in all that AMD has the better bang for the bug on office PC's and low end editing and gaming PC's.
But you know what they say, You pay for quality.

Last edited:
No doubt AMD has and outdated architecture, but Price/performance ratio, AMD and intel are kinda similar performing in benchmarks.
Some benchmarks intel slightly beats it's price/performance counter part and some other benchmarks it's the other way around.

I think all in all that AMD has the better bang for the bug on office PC's and low end editing and gaming PC's.
But you know what they say, You pay for quality.

I think that generally seems to be the feeling I've got from most people.

If your talking a budget build then AMG can offer a really nice performance / cost ratio. If you are talking something that you want the most performance out of and your budget can stretch a little then AMD can't touch intel at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom