Computer says I don't have enough memory to run game

Wartung

Baseband Member
Yeah, so, my computer is telling me this and yet, the computer I'm using is brand new and so there is absolutely no way that this could happen. Just to explain, my specs are as follows:

Windows 8.1
Intel Core I5 2.6Ghz
8Gb RAM
GeForce GTX 660M 2Gb

There are some other things but you get the idea, brand new gaming laptop not capable of running games that are almost ten years old? I believe it's either something to do with Windows 8 or some setting I need to change. Something like making more of my memory available for games. Whether it's that or something else, I have no idea how to get this thing working. I've playing plenty of games without problems though I've started to see this error lately and been noticing some problems in my multiplayer games.

I'd really appreciate some help from anyone!

Thanks!

What game? If it's 10 years old, sometimes that error indicates other issues.

We have some software where I work that is really old and won't run well in XPSP3, let alone Win7. We have to change the page file size (make it smaller I think) in order for it to run. I image if it's a really old game the issue is that there is too much RAM and it doesn't know what to do. Google the game and the error message and see if there are any workarounds.

Also, you could try running it in compatibility mode.

Last edited:
Rum memtest and see what happens..

I've downloaded Memtest and made a bootable thumb drive. Problem now is that I can't boot from it. I'm thinking it's because I have Windows 8. I'm thinking all of my problems stem from me using Windows 8.

Anyway, so maybe I have a bad version? I'm not sure, I've added a screenshot of what's on the key and I really can't understand why it won't work. Will try downloading different versions if possible.

What game? If it's 10 years old, sometimes that error indicates other issues.

We have some software where I work that is really old and won't run well in XPSP3, let alone Win7. We have to change the page file size (make it smaller I think) in order for it to run. I image if it's a really old game the issue is that there is too much RAM and it doesn't know what to do. Google the game and the error message and see if there are any workarounds.

Also, you could try running it in compatibility mode.

I already tried googling the error message, to no avail. I suppose I could try compatibility mode although it's been my experience that absolutely never, ever, ever solves anything. It's kind of like a last ditch effort that seems futile after all my failed attempts at it's use.

The game is Company of Heroes 1 and even more than that, it's a mod called Blitzkrieg 4.0.1 or something. Anyway, the mod is quite popular and it runs on everyones' computers fine, save mine. When I'm playing with these guys, my computer is usually the best and the first to finish loading. I've googled the problem numerous times and also checked on the official BK Mod forums. I seem to be the only person that has this problem.

I'll keep trying stuff and keep you guys updated.

Thanks again

Attachments

• Boot Thing.jpg
    Boot Thing.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4
Are you able to hit OK through the error and continue on? The old games looked at the raw numbers. For example, if it needed 256 MB but your computer reported you had 8GB, the game would say well 8 is less than 256 so you don't have enough. 10 years ago 1GB in a computer was rare so the logic they did, while poor design, worked well.

I run into this all the time when installing old 3DO games but I can just click OK and continue on installing.

Back
Top Bottom