Disabled People

I love how many people say they will help, and I'd like to think I would too but in a panic/emergency situation I'm afraid my self-preservation would kick in and I'd only be worried about my family. I doubt that I'd go back to help...if I'm being honest.

As far as the policy, I think it's been pointed out, but I'm sure it's in place to maximize lives saved. It's faster to move all the able-bodied people and get them out of the way. I know that's not a nice thought but if you are planning for a situation you have to know what to do so you don't panic and do nothing.

Hopefully you'll never be in that situation to have to make a choice. In times of an emergency, panic will often set in and it'll be difficult at best to organize a rescue. While I wouldn't advise going against policy, perhaps you should ask your superiors why the policy is written this way. Personally, I'd be one of the few trying to help others as soon as I've gotten my wife (and children if we had children at the time) out of harms way.

Like I said the policy is in place one to maximize lives saved and in order to ensure that employees know that they aren't expected to put themselves in harms way .

I love how many people say they will help, and I'd like to think I would too but in a panic/emergency situation I'm afraid my self-preservation would kick in and I'd only be worried about my family. I doubt that I'd go back to help...if I'm being honest.

As far as the policy, I think it's been pointed out, but I'm sure it's in place to maximize lives saved. It's faster to move all the able-bodied people and get them out of the way. I know that's not a nice thought but if you are planning for a situation you have to know what to do so you don't panic and do nothing.
CHances are even with a policy in place if an emergency situation where to ever occur the first reaction would be panic .
Im not saying I would expect other people to put themselves in harms way for anybody else , but if people could chip in before the situation became too dangerous then even more lives could be saved .

This thread reminds me of a situation that happened about 30 years ago. I had a supervisor that worked for me that was conducting a tour of our work area for a group of visitors. During the tour, there was a small earthquake. It was a small enough quake that there was absolutely no damage. Here in Calif, small quakes like this are fairly commonplace.

This supervisor totally panicked and acted inappropriately. He completely abandoned the tour group and ran outside of the building like a scared jackrabbit. As his manager, I reprimanded him for that, first of all, running out of the building is just plain wrong. Mostly, however, I was really concerned that he would abandon the tour group who were complete strangers to the building and area. I was embarrassed that my employee did that and those people in the tour were unnecessarily frightened due to being abandoned. Thankfully, the quake was small but, if it had been a major quake, his keeping his cool and not panicking may have made all the difference in whether the members of the tour group survived or not.

CHances are even with a policy in place if an emergency situation where to ever occur the first reaction would be panic .
Im not saying I would expect other people to put themselves in harms way for anybody else , but if people could chip in before the situation became too dangerous then even more lives could be saved .

Exactly what I meant. If it's too dangerous I'm afraid I'll have to run.

This thread reminds me of a situation that happened about 30 years ago. I had a supervisor that worked for me that was conducting a tour of our work area for a group of visitors. During the tour, there was a small earthquake. It was a small enough quake that there was absolutely no damage. Here in Calif, small quakes like this are fairly commonplace.

This supervisor totally panicked and acted inappropriately. He completely abandoned the tour group and ran outside of the building like a scared jackrabbit. As his manager, I reprimanded him for that, first of all, running out of the building is just plain wrong. Mostly, however, I was really concerned that he would abandon the tour group who were complete strangers to the building and area. I was embarrassed that my employee did that and those people in the tour were unnecessarily frightened due to being abandoned. Thankfully, the quake was small but, if it had been a major quake, his keeping his cool and not panicking may have made all the difference in whether the members of the tour group survived or not.

I think in an emergency situation I would panic a bit , forget the more minor details of my training , But I would expect that the bulk of it , the main important things would still be there . I certainly dont expect that I would run the opposite direction from the situation

If I were in the situation where an accident has just taken place and was told to get everyone out starting with the people that can walk then get the disabled out I would get the disabled out first regardless of what instructions I was given. If they died I would terrible and regret it for the rest of my days. I wouldn't do what Strollin's employee did as you are therefore not only endangering your own life but others as well.

... I would get the disabled out first regardless of what instructions I was given. If they died I would terrible and regret it for the rest of my days. ...
Does that mean that if your actions caused able bodied individuals to die unnecessarily you wouldn't feel guilty since you tried to save the disabled first?

i think the point he is trying to make is that able bodied people can help themselves

Being that I work in a hospital we do the complete opposite. We are to help the less abled people. Though I would help anyone I could in an evacuation.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom