Cooling hdd

dev893

In Runtime
Ive tried mounting a fan under my hdd in intake and exauhst and it still get really hot 56c but i can touch it with out burning my self could my comp be reading my temps wrong? I use speccy to tell me my temps

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

I like cpuid hardware monitor personally. 56C definitely seems hot but hard drives can operate up to 60C just fine. Still heat isn't a good thing and a normal operating temp for an hdd should be in the low 40's at the max. speedfan has a SMART test you can use that tells you your HDD temps specifically.

Has the case got good ventilation?

Ive removed the 3.5" cover to allow better airflow if i put my hand near the opening i can feel air being sucked in so im assuming its decent ive tested it in two cases a dell xps 400 and my custom build using an older premio micro atx case and in both cases the hdd get hot but the hdd in the xps right now never gets hotter than 45c (that ive seen)

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

I like cpuid hardware monitor personally. 56C definitely seems hot but hard drives can operate up to 60C just fine. Still heat isn't a good thing and a normal operating temp for an hdd should be in the low 40's at the max. speedfan has a SMART test you can use that tells you your HDD temps specifically.

It may just be because its an old drive but as i am unemployed i want to get as much life out of it till i can afford a new drive

old drive or not thats an awfully high temp. you could buy an hdd cooling enclosure. that might help. beyond that I don't know what you could do

old drive or not thats an awfully high temp. you could buy an hdd cooling enclosure. that might help. beyond that I don't know what you could do

I opened the case back up and i flipped the drive upside down (the board facing top of the case) and raised it up a little bit so only the sides are touching the metal bracket and now the drive hasnt hit higher than 46c a 10c drop so i think it helps will putting thermal compound on the areas that touch the metal brkt help with temps?

I have never once taken the temps of my hard drive. Didn't even know you could or needed to do that. Good job getting it cooled down though.

Im assuming it was due to no air being able to run under the drive even when i had the fan on it the fan would get hot (probably due to it being a low rpm fan and the mobo was saying it was spinning at 3800rpm) so it would be blowing hot air on it but yeah now i have it lifted up so that air can flow over the top and bottom of the drive

I have never once taken the temps of my hard drive. Didn't even know you could or needed to do that. Good job getting it cooled down though.

Really, I thought you would of knew how to do it. Anyways a program like Speccy or CrystalDiskInfo - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com shall do the trick. I have external hard drive that is currently sitting at 29c-30c max and I am not using anything on it except mounting Hirens using virtual clone drive..

Back
Top Bottom