Strange Internet

:horse: Slow speeds + multiple computers = bad gaming.

I've had that the last few days where others in the house have been gaming and I try to get on something like Minecraft and get disconnected from the server as it thinks my connection is being throttled when really so many users are on the same game and I don't think we've gone over our 500GB usage for the month..

Any who sorry if I brought the topic off tracks..

Unfortunately modern routers have more RAM in them than they used to, and I say unfortunately because more RAM in your router actually makes your connection quality decrease. This is all due to the nature of buffering.

By definition, larger buffers 'hold on' to data for a longer time period, so if other machines are using the connection at the same time as you

Eeeek :(

By that thinking we should have a terrible connection at work where our border routers have several GB of ram??

Last edited:
Eeeek :(

By that thinking we should have a terrible connection at work where our border routers have several GB of ram??

Yeah sorry about that! It's fine if all you're doing is high-bandwidth streaming, but for real-time protocols like HTTP at the same time it can impact severely. Note: this is much more noticeable on home networks where the ratio between LAN and WAN speed is greater (typically). Obviously it goes without saying that you need some RAM, but there is a sweet spot. More is not always better!

Back
Top Bottom