Processors Information
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Name Intel Xeon X3220
Codename Kentsfield
Specification Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3220 @ 2.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x4)
CPUID 6.F.B
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping G0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1596.0 MHz
Multiplier x Bus Speed 6.0 x 266.0 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1064.0 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T, VT-x
L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 9.0x
Max VID 1.288 V

Here is the HSF I bought - AVC CoolingFan-S775 CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

those load temps are definitely on the high side for a stock clocked processor of any kind. they aren't unsafe though. Processors can hit 90+ (depending on the chip) and be just fine, although those temps would reduce chip life. anyway, reseat the cooler. clean up the thermal paste, put on just a grain of rice sized amount, don't spread it, and put the cooler back on. the cpu may not be making good contact with the cooler's cold plate, hence the high temps. how old is your processor btw?

those load temps are definitely on the high side for a stock clocked processor of any kind. they aren't unsafe though. Processors can hit 90+ (depending on the chip) and be just fine, although those temps would reduce chip life. anyway, reseat the cooler. clean up the thermal paste, put on just a grain of rice sized amount, don't spread it, and put the cooler back on. the cpu may not be making good contact with the cooler's cold plate, hence the high temps. how old is your processor btw?

check - cpu and HSF cleaned
check - Thermal paste applied properly - Arctic Silver
check - HSF setted properly

Idle temp is 38c - Max 100% Prime95 burnin HOT AS I CAN MAKE IT!!!!! 71c

Intel says the MAX temp for this cpu should be 62.2c

Using Speedfan I manually set my CPU fan to 100% and now under full oad my CPU stays at 60.1c

Last edited:
prime 95 puts a LOT of stress on a cpu. Intel's stated max temp is probably measured using something other than prime 95. also, ambient temps could be different (maybe your room is rather warm). frankly I wouldn't worry about it. 71C isn't bad. unless you want to overclock your cpu I'd say you're just fine. If you do want to OC it (which I always recommend) get a better cpu cooler. the hyper 212 evo is 30 bucks and gives great performance.

Wanna add that if you are going for a new cpu cooler? Go for one with a 120 mm fan.
This will move a lot of air and still will be quiet. Noctua coolers and fans are among the best. But there are others with 120 mm fans that will be totally ok. and cheaper.

Hey I looked at the processor and that model produces a lot of heat due to its TDP of 105, which mean you might have to get a cooler that supports that amount of TDP or more, but unfortunately some manufactures don't specify how much their cooler can take. Also the socket is older which you might find it harder to find something good.
Best of luck in finding a new cooler :)

Back
Top Bottom