installing a SSD to LT confusses me

stevethebrain

In Runtime
installing a SSD to Lap Top confusses me
here's the procedure I was reading
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=291#topic2
I thought the OS was on the HDD that is being removed so how doe's the LT recognize the new SSD w/ the HDD removed?

or after the LT recognize's the new SSD is this when the fresh copy of win7 on a DVD is installed?

Notebook Computers:
Power off the computer. You may leave the power cable connected.
Remove the notebook battery.
Unscrew and remove the hard drive panel. (Refer to your computer owner's manual.) It there is a tab on the existing hard drive, gently pull it up and then remove the hard drive from the bay.
Align the SATA connector pins on the SSD with the SATA connector in the drive bay.
Slide the SSD firmly against the SATA connectors in the drive bay.
Reattach the drive panel and screws.
Reinstall the battery.
Turn on the power and wait for the OS to recognize the new SSD.

Thanks STB

I'm not sure what you mean by the ssd being recognized. If you install the ssd in place of the hdd and then go into the BIOS, you should see the ssd there. If it isn't showing up there then you have a problem, check to make sure the ssd is firmly mated with the connectors in the laptop's drive bay. Once the ssd shows up in the BIOS, you can boot from the install DVD and proceed from there.

I think I see where your confusion is coming from. The last line "Turn on the power and wait for the OS to recognize the new SSD." is totally bogus since there is NO OS at this time to recognize the ssd. I believe they really mean what I said, check in the BIOS to see that the ssd is recognized there.

Yes basically. Either you can clone your original hard drive to the ssd. Or just do a fresh installation of windows on the ssd.

Another thought, some new computers come with a mini ssd with the OS on it. So my question is, is the hard drive you are replacing the drive that has all of you important doc's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

actualley I was planning on saving all the doc.s on this OS HDD then create a backup OS SSD so I can be prepared when the current OS HDD fails.

I attemped to download win7 home preium however my internet speed is very slow so either I need to use a hot spot or purchase a win7 DVD (I have the key code)

I'm concidering Cloning Lap Top HDD w/ SSD

How doe's my plan sound use a portable 2.5” enclosure like this bottom link.

I also plan to save the files on the current HDD to the portable HDD.

I see 4 small nipples on one side of enclosure
?1.I'm assuming these are rubber screw
?2.Covers that I can remove w/ my fingernail?
?3.I'm thinking it can be disassembled and insert a SSD?

?4.Then use acronis (free trail version) to mirror the HDD.

?5.What do you Guy's think about cloning a HDD to SSD this Man at New Egg say's it's not recommended. And the SSD should have a fresh copy of win7 OS.

?6. my main concern is setting the trim requirements in the BIOS w/ my clone procedure should the trim be set first before mirroring HDD?

?7.I'm assuming my intel H57 MOBO is capable of using trim since my PC came w/ win7?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=291

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-236-568&nm_mc=EMC-GD031214&cm_mmc=EMC-GD031214-_-index-_-Item-_-22-236-568

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom