Working out a gaming build, AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallumK91

Solid State Member
I have been comparing parts for a few days now, I'm trying to plan out the best gaming build. I haven't been in the loop for a good 4 years now so I'm finding it a little more difficult than I used to. My main concern obviously is what graphics card and processor to get. I'm pretty much set on going for Nvidia, I'm thinking of going for the GTX 780. It seems like the best for performance and price balance. From what I have looked at I could pay double for a Titan and not really get much difference in performance. (Any input here would be great)

But now to my main concern. I was pretty much just looking into Intel processors. But I've done some more looking and had a look at trying to see what is suggested for the cheapest but best gaming build capable of playing recent titles (AC: Black Flag, Thief, Crysis 3 [Maybe not on max spec, but still high] etc.) This is when I started looking at AMD processors and I've become incredibly confused.

I'm in the UK, so I'm going to talk in Pounds Sterling. I could purchase either of the following:

AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed)

£139...

OR

Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)

£259...

Can someone please clear up for me, what truly is the better option, what I am paying for, and... just why can I purchase AMD 8 core processors for such a cheap price when the latest Intel 6 Core would cost me £1000?

about the graphic cards:
Yeah don't ever buy the Titan. Much rather get the 780TI.
It's a better and cheaper card.

I would go for a core I5-4670K.
You are gonna see absolutely no difference between the I5 and I7 when it comes to gaming.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

AMD uses a rather poor architecture.
That's why they don't perform as well as Intel CPU's MHz to Mhz.
They are cheaper for that reason. It might be a beast for multitasking, but most software doesn't even utilize more then 2 cores.

about the graphic cards:
Yeah don't ever buy the Titan. Much rather get the 780TI.
It's a better and cheaper card.

I would go for a core I5-4670K.
You are gonna see absolutely no difference between the I5 and I7 when it comes to gaming.

Thanks for the advice regarding both, and for the sake of saving about £100 I will likely go for the i5.

Regarding AMD/Intel, I see... overall, going for the AMD 8-core against the Intel i5, which would you suggest would be better in performance?

Last edited:
Hyper threading is a. Intel technology that allow each core to act like 2.
They have 2 inputs and outputs. So they can take in more data at once. Still not as good as having 2 cores instead og 1 core with HT.

AMD CPU's are cheap. That's why that they are not kicked out of the CPU marked.
The 4 core I7 still beats the 8 core AMD in some benchmarks simply because each core are faster.

Excellent, thanks. So I guess I shall be sticking with my original choice of Intel.

I shall post my planned build on here for any opinions, suggestions/advice etc.

Case: CIT Vantage Type-R Midi Mesh Gaming Case Black Interior 4 Fans (3 Red LED) Card Reader No PSU - £33

PSU: XFX Black Edition 750W 80+ Gold Fully Modular - £92

Mobo: MSI Z87-GD65 - £140

Processor: i5 4670k - £167

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 2x4GB DDR3 2400MHz - £65 (May upgrade or go straight with 2x8GB - £127)

Graphics: MSI GTX 780 3GB GDDR5 - £370

HDD: Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM - £58

Total: £925-987

Last edited:
Looks like a nice setup. Can't see any flaws in it.

However you don't need a 8x2 kit. A 4x2 is enough.

Excellent thanks. Yeah I know 8GB is plenty of RAM but no harm in having extra. Besides I will only need to upgrade sometime in the next year or 2 when windows gets updated too much like usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom