New Photo Comp Rules?

ok so general rules.

Has to be on the subject that the competition is based on. (I have strayed away from this slightly before).

Has to be taken or at least aligned and setup by the person entering the photo.

Only slight editing such as a little exposure or contrast adjustments allowed. No extreme photo shopping.

That's a couple to get us started, I'm very happy for people to disagree or agree with these, let's discuss and hear your ideas for the rules.

Great start.

What about stuff like this?
photoshop-vignette-effect.jpg

Me personally, I would say that was too much editing. But that's just me, I'm just 1 man perhaps It should be down to whoever won the last competition and started the one you are submitting for?

I humbly suggest that the winner makes the preferences. Yup, I prefer to call it preferences instead of rules!

They already pic up the theme for the next competition, so why not?

Having rules (as restrictions and regulations, not descriptions and hows) usually turns the fun off! We don't want this to happen!

Cool, I keep using complicated English more and more :D

ok so general rules.

Has to be on the subject that the competition is based on. (I have strayed away from this slightly before).
Yes.

Has to be taken or at least aligned and setup by the person entering the photo.
I really think it has to be the sumbitter who pressed the button. I feel like you can't claim it as your own otherwise. As an example (unrealistic but still) if I align and setup my car so that it's aimed at your house but my friend presses the gas pedal, did I wreck into your house or did he? I think we can all agree that he did.

Only slight editing such as a little exposure or contrast adjustments allowed. No extreme photo shopping.
I know we've had this as a general rule, but I would like to see no editing done. You can 'fix' so many things in photoshop that it's not a real example of how good a photographer you are.

That's a couple to get us started, I'm very happy for people to disagree or agree with these, let's discuss and hear your ideas for the rules.

I'm just glad we are doing a rule by committee.

I humbly suggest that the winner makes the preferences. Yup, I prefer to call it preferences instead of rules!

They already pic up the theme for the next competition, so why not?

Having rules (as restrictions and regulations, not descriptions and hows) usually turns the fun off! We don't want this to happen!

Cool, I keep using complicated English more and more :D

No I don't think we change the rules everytime. That will get too confusing. Instead we set rules and they apply to all themes. I think it should be up to the OP to be the final judge of whether a pic should stay or go though if there's a debate about whether it's on the subject. But if there's a question about whether it follows the rules then it should be a committee decision.

I also think that we should all just go outside since we are aguing online about a photo comp that has no prize what so ever. :rofl:

Last edited:
I know we've had this as a general rule, but I would like to see no editing done. You can 'fix' so many things in photoshop that it's not a real example of how good a photographer you are.

I know I've never entered the photo competitions, but as a professional portrait and wedding photographer, editing is considered part of photography. In the end, it's how the picture looks that counts. If I miss exposure by a full stop and then fix it in post processing, my client will never know the difference.
That's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

I agree with Sethwilliams.
Editing is a part of photography.

my opinion on "when is it your own image":
Lets just say that the photographer is the one who presses the button or entered the auto shoot timer.

Last edited:
I think that the rules should apply for all competitions, they should not change.
This will make it easier to remember the rules.

Also i believe the photo must be taken by the person submitting the photo. This will clear up any confusion as to who the photo belongs to.

Also i think that all photos that are taken should not be altered in any way, such as editing them in photo shop, but that's just my opinion.

Also i think that all photos that are taken should not be altered in any way, such as editing them in photo shop, but that's just my opinion.

Agreed. I don't see a point in a photo comp if you can edit it in photo shop in even the slightest way. It should be about your photo taking skills 100%

Back
Top Bottom