Rebuilding an ancient labtop...

rpc1998

Beta member
Hi this is my first post and pretty much my sole purpose for creating an account on this forum. I am interested in rebuilding my dads old dell notebook from the early 2000's. I want to do this so that I can boot it with unbuntu and have a machine I can use securely without the risk of certain people *cough* NSA *cough* looking in on my activities. Right now I am pretty sure it does not start due to a broken battery and pretty much all of the components need replacing. I will post later tonight with the exact model and component list but for now I would just like to know if anyone has any expierence rebuilding notebooks like this one. Any help is appreciated. I have some expierence building a desktop but this could be a bit tricky seeing as it is an older notebook and is no longer functional. Im putting my budget at about 200$ right now but that could go up depending on what I hear in this thread I dont want to go any higher than 300$ though. Let me know what you think.

I could really use some help with this once I have all the specs I can post pictures as well

Rebuilding a laptop is very hard as many of the components are soldered onto the motherboard.

Also, you think Ubuntu is going to protect you from the NSA....:lol:.

Can you define "rebuild"?

what is it you expect to achieve?

Are you looking at buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM etc for it? Coz that's not "really" an option with laptops.

You are pretty much stuck with the Motherboard and CPU you have.
You could upgrade the memory and hard drive that's about it?

Firstly jmac thanks for the reply about the motherboard that is not the problem and doesn't need upgrading but I do not think unbuntu protects me from the NSA i use it beause it is much easier to use encryption on linux software and does not have back doors like Windows

Secondly ssc yes I am going to replace almost everything besides the motherboard and cpu, Keyboard is going along with the hard drive, memory and I am going to replace the cd drive and battery because they are broken other than that I am just going to give a thorough cleaning because of how much dust there was when I opened the case.

What is the exact model of the laptop, It will help us determine if anything be upgraded at all..

Sorry for the wait just got around to this, It is a old dell Inspiron 5000 with pentium 3 and I pulled out the cd drive, battery, hard drive, and removed the keyboard having trouble removing the installed RAM right now and hopefully I will be able to remove the motherboard but it is doubtful as I am looking at it

You won't be able to upgrade much at all, Its max ram is 512MB and you wouldn't be able to put a new hard drive in..

Sorry for the off topic question but want to ask, in the title of this thread you used the term "labtop", did you use that term intentionally or was it a simple typo? In other words, did you really intend to use the term "laptop" but accidentally typed "labtop".

The reason I ask is because on another forum I frequent there was a discussion about this term and why people use it. My belief is that it's simply a typo but others argued it was a commonly used term.

Back
Top Bottom