Would You Change Careers/Jobs?

BK_123

Golden Master
So would anyone here ever see themselves changing career paths or jobs. The reason why I ask this at the moment in Australia we are facing some of the highest unemployment rates and in my state Tasmania we have the highest rate of all in the country and we are losing jobs rapidly and with a state election approaching not this weekend but next we are tipped to lose more.

I am 90% money motivated 10% interest motivated.

If you offered me a completely different career that I knew could bring in more money long term I'd take it up in a heartbeat.

So at the minute I'm a software developer and have always worked with computers.
If someone offered by a career in I don't know, plumbing? Or Project Management for a 20% salary increase and I thought / knew that the market for this would not disappear, id take it.

I would!

I'm a bachelor English graduate working as secretary now!

Main reason is not the profession, but the working hours! I work 48 hours 6 days, let alone the forced overtime!

I work as an IT supporter at a school. I am also the janitors right hand.
when he needs my help he has me on speed dial.
Pay is fine and work hours are excellent. (i start my work day at 9:30)
Motivation in what i do is unfortunately not always high. I need more challenge.
Most of what i do IT related is easy.

But all in all, i am not complaining about my job.
It's an easy relaxing job with good work hours without me being ripped off when it comes to my pay.

I would change job if i get something similar but with more challenge. More pay would also be to my interest.
If i should change career i think it would be something where i am alone most the time.

Not only would I but I have in the past. I've had 3 different careers within my personal work history.

I started out as an electronics technician, did that for about 8 years. I went to school at night and got a BS in Management so then I switched gears and worked in management for another 6 years. I was then offered the opportunity to be retrained as a programmer so I made another switch to software development and have been doing that for the past 28 years.

I'm now looking toward to a new career, retirement. Hopefully within the next few years.

Last edited:
@OP
I think this question is a little different under the circumstances you posed. To me, the question should be "How bad do you want to eat?"

I would probably not leave the IT field out of choice, but if the circumstances left me no other option, then I'd be taking drive through orders like a champ.

So... what do the elections have to do with this massive job loss? (Honest question; our news only shows us celebrities and garbage)

So... what do the elections have to do with this massive job loss? (Honest question; our news only shows us celebrities and garbage)

Well because everything is either moving interstate, international or company's are just going broke and the government wants to cut more jobs to save money in the budget but at the same time they want to create jobs..

Well because everything is either moving interstate, international or company's are just going broke and the government wants to cut more jobs to save money in the budget but at the same time they want to create jobs..

Have had 3 career changes of my own choosing......Changed with the times with no problems.

The problem with you Tasmanians is you have a bunch of loony tune greenies intent on shutting down your industries for the sake of environmental protection, have a look at your biggest culprit Bob Brown, need I say more.

I will be honest with you, if you want to get some where then migrate to the Main land as there is very little opportunities where you are.

Cheers.

Have had 3 career changes of my own choosing......Changed with the times with no problems.

The problem with you Tasmanians is you have a bunch of loony tune greenies intent on shutting down your industries for the sake of environmental protection, have a look at your biggest culprit Bob Brown, need I say more.

I will be honest with you, if you want to get some where then migrate to the Main land as there is very little opportunities where you are.

Cheers.

Your exactly right, Ever since labour formed minority with the greens we started to lose jobs and industries were shutting down like nothing.

That's deadly right and if I have to I will move interstate to get employment once I complete my studies.

Back
Top Bottom