Windows XP - Aquiring Network Address Problems

Puggy858

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have now been working on the process of trying to fix this for around 4 hours and have still not had any sucess, I have googled and googled. And I am not sure what else to do.

I am using a Realtek RTL81692 Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter.
On Windows XP Pro, SP3.

I press connect on my wifi network, it starts and gets continually stuck on aquiring network address. And the process just keeps repeating until I turn off computer.

I will start from scratch and listen to your suggestions.

However, is there a good diagnosis program to help you get a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Thanks
Daniel

How close/far away are you to the router? Can you move closer?
Do other devices in the area connect?
Have you tried removing the Wireless Network connection from the computer and letting it find it again and setting it up like a new connection?
Have you tried removing the security key from the wireless network and seeing if it connects then?

Try what jmacavali said and if that doesn't work try re installing the device drivers. Un install then reinstall that is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

Can you goto the command prompt, Do this click start, then run, then type cmd.exe and press enter then type ipconfig and take a screenshot and upload it, This will help us determine whether your computer is receiving an IP address from the routers DHCP server and other problems you may be having.

How close/far away are you to the router? Can you move closer?
Do other devices in the area connect?
Have you tried removing the Wireless Network connection from the computer and letting it find it again and setting it up like a new connection?
Have you tried removing the security key from the wireless network and seeing if it connects then?

Connection is very good. Close enough.
All other devices in the house connect, specifically this device not connecting.
Have removed and then re added to network list.
Have not tried removing security key and do not believe that is the issue.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Try what jmacavali said and if that doesn't work try re installing the device drivers. Un install then reinstall that is.

Unistalled and re installed 3 times in the last two days to no avail.

Can you goto the command prompt, Do this click start, then run, then type cmd.exe and press enter then type ipconfig and take a screenshot and upload it, This will help us determine whether your computer is receiving an IP address from the routers DHCP server and other problems you may be having.

Just did this for you.
IP is showing as 0.0.0.0
I did use a static IP last time and that still didn't work.
Not sure if that is the problem however.

Attachments

• Screen shot ipconfig.JPG
    Screen shot ipconfig.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 6
Can you try using ethernet to your router?

Just did this for you.
IP is showing as 0.0.0.0
I did use a static IP last time and that still didn't work.
Not sure if that is the problem however.

Check that the adapter hasn't got a static IP and set to DHCP then issue the ipconfig /release and /renew commands and see what happens..

Progress.
I finally have an IP address showing.

I did this.

Click Start > Run.
Type cmd and press Enter.
At the command prompt, run this command:
Note: In Windows 2008 and Windows 7, open the command prompt using the Run as Administrator option.

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

I showed that there were hidden network things in my device manager.
Now I have an IP address showing.

What next?

Attachments

• screen shot update.jpg
    screen shot update.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom