Random Chit Chat

I am not a cat person either, Cat's and I don't get along. I hate their claws and they can be so lazy. The last time we had cats well the first one was feral and kept escaping the house and decided the lady up the road was his new owner then our second cat was feral and kept escaping and wouldn't come back for awhile at times then a last cat was a ragdoll which are lazy cats and had kittens, It was Mum's birthday and we were headed out to lunch and my sister was in her room getting ready then hears a meowing sound then pulls a baby rocker from out under the bed and there was 6 or 7 kittens their with the mother and she screamed and cried. After that we re-homed them all but one was sick and had to be put down. The mother of cats started to try and escape to obviously find the father. We think she got pregnant when she escaped and we had to the back neighbors house and find her.

Feral cats are very scared cats if they've never been around people. Basing an opinion off of that is like saying you don't like sony TV's because all three used ones you've bought died in less than a year. Some are really nice, others just want a night or two in a warm place if they are desperate. The one that gave birth likely didn't run out to find the father as cats in the wild typically are not social creatures. Domesticated cats are social out of necessity as otherwise it would be very boring for them but in the wild it's very rare for them to team up and stay together. You can see this when you try introducing a second cat into a home where one cat has lived by themselves for years. It takes a long, long time for them to get cozy and forget the territorial fights.

Btw, they are also smart as hell. They can tell what you feel about them. If you hate them and radiate hate they will treat you like crap.

My cat was feral. She is a little escape artist, but that's simply because she's overly curious and likes to investigate. She's also very friendly and loves people. I got one of the small minority of feral cats that quickly adjusts and loves people. She's great with large get-togethers as well. But I know the odds of me getting another feral cat that behaves just like her are slim to none.

@Biker, I wasn't originally a cat person either. In college I moved out and got a place of my own without a roommate but wanted company. I chose a cat for no other reason that I didn't have time to properly take care of a dog. They grow on you very quickly if you let them and I'll agree, sometimes just hearing that pitter-patter of paws on the ground is comforting.

I see. I am getting to like it already.
only problem is those claws. she scratched me yesterday.
It didn't feel like playing, so it scratched me with both claws and bid me.
My reaction was pushing it away (cause that actually hurt). It then ... what's it called in english... ehh... "hisses" at me.
I find it hard to read it's body language. It's easy with dogs, but cat's are a different story.

It's possible it was playing and doesn't know not to play with you like that. Assuming it was, pushing it (while natural for us in pain) was an act of aggression in it's eyes which would explain the hiss.

When I get a break here at work I can give some tips on reading a cat's body language and proper ways to punish/discipline cats.

Also keep in mind too it could be acting out because it misses its previous owners too.

You've got to check these out. They are awesome:
20 GIFs That Jump Off Your Screen Without 3D Glasses

sherlock.jpg

america.jpg

Thanks for the reply Celegorm.
I'll keep that in mind

Ok so 12 hours days, let's take a break.

First thing first, you'll need to train yourself. When the cat bites/scratches you the you cannot push/swat at/hit or yell. This is hard as it's natural for us as humans when something is actively hurting us. Depending on why the cat is doing that the push/swat could be seen as part of a game, or aggression. If it thinks its a game it will continue, if it's seen as aggression it could try to insert dominance and react by anything as "low" as hissing, or extreme as biting or scratching again.

Just to be clear, when I say punish in the following, I mean literally and in the sense that it needs to learn that something is not acceptable (example play biting). In all cases, cats are a bit tricky as you must start the punishment as they are still actively doing the bad behavior. If you don't, they associate the punishment with whatever they are currently doing. There are 3 methods I've used with success depending on the situation. First is the tried and true spray bottle, just give them a squirt or two when they need it. My cat has learned to calm down when I simply grab it. The second is to pick up the cat so it's facing away from you (hold it one hand on it's chest, right under the front legs, the other supporting its butt) and without saying a word walk it into another room where you can lock it into time out for 5-10 minutes. This works best with cats that are more social with humans. The third is taken right from nature. When kittens misbehave the mother cat will use its paw push the cat's chin to the ground and the other to hold the kitten there until it calms down (and then a little extra). This asserts dominance as well which makes it extra effective. Be careful with this one, you want to be firm, but not to hurt the cat.

The cat's body language is definitely hard to read, and will vary a bit by cat. I've seen books claim that a wagging tail in a cat is one that indicates hunting/anger so unless it's pouncing on a toy mouse it's not something you want to play with. Tail up is usually done when the cat is comfortable, happy and/or playful. Now my cat is an exception here as she's always wagging her tail even when playful. Something that is consistent is the ears. Forward is happy/playful, sideways will vary a bit from cat to cat and back is angry/upset/scared. If your cat is biting or scratching you with ears back it's mad about something.

I hope that helps.

The spray bottle works on dogs too. My parents used it to break a dog of barking whenever anyone walks by. They live close to a school, so kids walk by in the morning and in the evening and he would just go nuts. Now if he starts to bark, just grabbing the spray bottle will remind him to stop and he settles right down.

Back
Top Bottom