Random Chit Chat

Lets see, in English, "bode" is pronounced as "code" in normal cases.

In out of the ordinary cases, like being a borrowed word from another language, it could be pronounced as "body". Best example for that is the word "karate" where the final sound is a short vowel /e/. The ending of the word "separate" does not sound like that of "karate".

What controls letter pronunciation, how it sounds when read, is actually not the letter and its position, but the nature of the previous and next sound, including non at all. Sometimes it even goes to the sound before or next to the one before or next to the subject letter.

:confused:

Look Mom, I'm a lumber jack !

Bode Miller (who is a skier for the USA) pronounces his name with a long 'o' sound and a long 'e' sound "bow-dee". Isn't "body" though.

But in terms of saying 'it doesn't bode well for her' then it just rhymes with mode.

Is it okay for a non Site Team member to try is just once?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

I mean to quote myself to see if it merges automatically?

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Oh, it worked!

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 06:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Oh, it worked!

I mean auto-merging posts!

Back
Top Bottom