How to tell what type of PC case you have

darthlinux

Baseband Member
Hi All

I recently brought a PC that was cheap from PC World and when I decided to open it up I noticed it was all on board and the ethernet was not a GB so I can't max out my 120Mb connection, I was wondering how do I tell what type of case it so I can replace the motherboard and customise how I want.

There are a few types of cases you can get, Read this article Types of Computer Cases and Motherboard Factors - Utilize Windows

Full Tower

1-Full-Tower.jpg

Mid Tower

2-Mid-Size-Tower.jpg
'

Mini Tower

3-Mini-Tower.jpg

Slim Line

4-Slim-Line.jpg

Small Form Factor

5-Small-Form-Factor.jpg

Hi All

I recently brought a PC that was cheap from PC World and when I decided to open it up I noticed it was all on board and the ethernet was not a GB so I can't max out my 120Mb connection, I was wondering how do I tell what type of case it so I can replace the motherboard and customise how I want.

Does it have a model number? they're usually ATX motherboards if it's a desktop

No model number as the motherboard is tiny and all on board I have a feeling its a mid tower but could be a full tower so confused

No model number as the motherboard is tiny and all on board I have a feeling its a mid tower but could be a full tower so confused

Hmm, I was hoping being a pre-built it might have a model number for your computer on the case, micro atx is a smaller motherboard, although I've only ever seen one.

Yeah it tiny no extra PCI slot all on board graphics and lan on slots on there is for the RAM

Yeah it tiny no extra PCI slot all on board graphics and lan on slots on there is for the RAM

Does it say anything else on the case other than Tiny? for instance a Compaq might say Compaq Prescario. I'm struggling to find anything on them as sources online seem to suggest they went into administration some time ago. Also, do you have a way to check the specs, I was hoping the specs would make it easier for me to find out exactly which model, which operating system? in windows 7 right clicking my computer and pressing properties brings up details about your computer, or pressing start and typing system information, I'm guessing if your is quite old it will be an older operating system so I can't remember if the same things work.

Last edited:
It had Wndows 8 on it but I did put Windows 7 on the machine, the PC is at home so I will check then but its going away to PC hospital Sunday as the graphics has gone 5 months after I had it.

Back
Top Bottom