Dual boot vs virtual

64-bit Windows doesn't support running 16-bit programs. I thought this thread was about problems with running games in an XP VM?

64-bit Windows doesn't support running 16-bit programs. I thought this thread was about problems with running games in an XP VM?

Yeah, it was, sorry it went a bit off topic, the reason I was trying to use the vm was actually to get some old games working, someone further up said Theme Hospital worked on windows 7, I'm not disputing that if but I've so far failed in my attempts, I did notice it said 16 bit though. The only game I've got as far as testing on the xp vm was Chuck Yeager, which didn't appear to have any sound.

Last edited:
Theme Hospital may work on 32-bit Wn 7 but not 64-bit, since 32-bit Win 7 includes support for running 16-bit programs.

Theme Hospital may work on 32-bit Wn 7 but not 64-bit, since 32-bit Win 7 includes support for running 16-bit programs.

AH, I did forget to specify I was using 64 bit, my fault

---------- Post added at 07:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Did sound work at all in the VM? The virtual environments tend to emulate a SoundBlaster so it's pretty generic.

Yeah, I'm sure I remember the startup and shutdown sound, but I just tried then and no sound at all, I don't know at what point it stopped

Since there is no sound at all, troubleshoot the VM just as you would a physical computer. Check Device Mgr to see if the system thinks the sound card is installed and working. Check simple things like is the sound muted, volume slider not all the way down and so on. Once the sound is working in the VM, then you can proceed to making it work in a game.

Back
Top Bottom