Comments On Build

BK_123

Golden Master
So I am still tossing up the idea of building a desktop as I use a laptop more and I am not an intense gamer but would like a desktop for that extra power and performance so I've put this build together PC Case Gear. I went with the i5 4440 as I won't be overclocking but still want a power CPU and don't see the need for the i7, I am not worried about not having an SSD and the GTX 660 would do for what I want. I would be buying it down the track once I have the money but Intel's new Broadwell's could be out by the time I get around to doing it.

That's an awful expensive computer to use for non-gaming purposes....

I built my desktop for 60% cheaper and it runs great. And will do pretty much what this one does (minus gaming because of the card, but since you won't be doing that...)

Here's a nice i5 build (that you could add a graphics card to if you really wanted): http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8595228&CatId=4910

Here's a comparable AMD build for significantly less (and again you could add ram/video card if need):
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8584876&CatId=7718

I know those aren't top of the line CPU's but for what it sounds like your needs are, they would be better suited and significantly cheaper options. Of course, if you want the upper end and new hardware and have the money, by all means, go with your build.

Last edited:
Those prices are in AUD (Australian dollars)
The price for the build in American dollar (USD) are ruffly 1000$
Still a little more expensive then sites like pcpartpicker.com

i checked some of the prices on PCpartpicker.
Your price for just the Mobo, CPU and GPU are in total 513 USD (573 AUD)
On PCPartpicker the price goes down to 460. Remember that is is only the 3 parts.
You will safe allot by buying somewhere with more reasonable prices.

Intel Core i5-4440, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 - System Build - PCPartPicker

Those prices are in AUD (Australian dollars)
The price for the build in American dollar (USD) are ruffly 1000$
Still a little more expensive then sites like pcpartpicker.com

i checked some of the prices on PCpartpicker.
Your price for just the Mobo, CPU and GPU are in total 513 USD (573 AUD)
On PCPartpicker the price goes down to 460. Remember that is is only the 3 parts.
You will safe allot by buying somewhere with more reasonable prices.

Intel Core i5-4440, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 - System Build - PCPartPicker

Still, $1000 US dollars for a non gaming PC is still a S*** ton of money. My computer has cost in the ball park of $400 and runs some pretty intense games

It looks like a fine setup to me. Not counting in the GPU sense it's not suppose to be a gaming PC. A cheaper and more neutral looking case would also be fine for a non gaming case.

Problem here is that that site is expensive. I don't know if that's just how it is in Australia.

If I was able to I'd buy the parts from America but they don't directly ship to Australia and PC Case Gear don't offer kits. I've decided to go with 16GB of ram as I may need to run VM's for assignments and just for that extra bit of ram.

Honestly, I've run multiple VMs of Ubuntu + backtrack2 at the same time on nothing more than 8GB with a host system of Vista. 16GB is a little over-kill.

Why that case? It does look nice but a full tower case for a micro atx board? There will be a lot of empty space in there.

Honestly, I've run multiple VMs of Ubuntu + backtrack2 at the same time on nothing more than 8GB with a host system of Vista. 16GB is a little over-kill.

Why that case? It does look nice but a full tower case for a micro atx board? There will be a lot of empty space in there.

Ok, What's a good board that won't waste space in the case?

Let's be honest, everything in that build is overkill for what he's doing :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom