Laptop problem, I've not seen before

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, so I got windows installed after running dban and ran the WD diagnotsic, it passed, so I got all the updates installed, restarted and then turned off as I was going to bed, I turned it on this morning, it got to the windows logo, stayed there for a while, a quick BSOD flashed (to quick for me to be able to read) and then restarts, the process will continue until I'm not looking and it selects start up repair in my absence, does anyone have any idea's, thanks.

I turned it on this morning, it got to the windows logo, stayed there for a while, a quick BSOD flashed (to quick for me to be able to read) and then restarts.

Download and run this Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files., Take a screenshot and upload it here then go from there..

BK, please read all the details. It's not getting into windows so asking him to install software and give a screen shot is not something he can do at the moment.

Emperor, You don't say what version of windows you installed so this might not apply. However in XP and Vista there was an option if you hit F8 on startup that said "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". I think this exists on 7 and 8 but I cannot remember. See if this option is there for you. It'd pause the BSOD and give you the ability to write down the error to pass onto us.

BK, please read all the details. It's not getting into windows so asking him to install software and give a screen shot is not something he can do at the moment.

Emperor, You don't say what version of windows you installed so this might not apply. However in XP and Vista there was an option if you hit F8 on startup that said "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure". I think this exists on 7 and 8 but I cannot remember. See if this option is there for you. It'd pause the BSOD and give you the ability to write down the error to pass onto us.

Thanks, sorry, it's windows 7 ultimate, it does indeed apply though, I restarted and used the option you mentioned, I couldn't get a decent picture so I just typed it out, here was the resulting message,

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.
If problems continue, disable or remove and newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then slect Safe Mode.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA8003D606D0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Thanks for the help so far, they have decided to sell the laptop as is and use it to part fund a new one he wants, so I've given it back, I do think I've learned a fair bit from it, as I did start checking components and motherboard for visual signs of damage, and I don't often open laptops other than to change hard drive or upgrade ram as I fear them, Desktops I'm fine with, but I find them so fiddly and easily broken, but I've decided to surpass the laptop fear just in time for a project I have with a laptop unable to display anything which I'm not giving up on until it's working. I shall start another thread though

Back
Top Bottom