External Hard drive Not Recognized Because of Hard drive password

WebSuccess4You

Beta member
The old hard drive I have is external in a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA hard Drive DOCK which I know works because it saw another hard drive. I cannot see this hard drive in Windows Explorer and when I see it i Computer Management it appears as Not Initialized,Not Formatted. Well,
it is a formatted NTFS with about 170 GB out of 320GB on it but I put a hard drive password on it and had a Dell technician replace it with a new 500 GB because I was going to clone the old hard drive with TrueImage14
and with the newest version of trueImage14 you have to have the new/destination hard drive inside the computer. But before he removed the
old hard drive I forgot to remove the hard drive password. I know the hard drive password but because (I think )it is on the old hard drive, Windows Explorer won't recognize it and Computer Management thinks it is
Not Initialized and UnFormatted. Please verify that this is the reason Windows Explorer cannot see it and Computer Management thinks it is
Not Initialized and UnFormatted.

I have a URL where I can buy HD Reset software but I have to sign a
waiver of liability because it might wipe out the info on it. Not what I want.

I read this: "Dell Inspiron BIOS Password Recovery

Each Dell Inspiron has a master password that clears the BIOS password. Call Dell Technical Support at (800)624-9896 to get this number.

Dell Technical Support will request the Service Tag and Express Service Code from the bottom of the Inspiron."

Does this apply because it is a hard drive password and not a BIOS because it is not affecting my installed new hard drive ?

How can I connect to the old hard drive to reset or remove the password ?
I have tried connecting with the hard drive in a hard drive enclosure but that does not work either.
I read somewhere if I put the hard drive in a desktop I can access the BIOS and delete the hard drive password. Does that work ?

I am copying this same post and emailing it to western Digital Support because the old hard drive is a WD Scorpio Blue.

Get a copy of Linux, Burn it to a disc then boot into it and Linux should be able to see the drive even if it has a password on it.

Get a copy of Linux, Burn it to a disc then boot into it and Linux should be able to see the drive even if it has a password on it.
Thank you very much. I have looked at my hard drive with LinuxMint.com and it shows up as Unformatted and Unitinitalized. However, it is Formatted and Initialized. My data recovery software can see the hard drive as it appears with its exact nomenclature but the data recovery software cannot detect any partition,folder nor files.
I believe that I have to put the hard drive into a desktop so that it can be accessed though a BIOS where I created the hard drive password. I believe the hard drive password encrypts it so that no partition,folders nor files can be seen by data recovery software (GetData's RecoverMyFiles). I plan to put the old hard drive into a 2.5" SATA input and connect my laptop to the desktop through a USB2.0 or 3.0 connector then try to see it from there. Maybe when I boot the desktop I will go into its BIOS and try to delete the hard drive password before the desktop boots. Will I be able to choose what hard drive to delete a password from ?
BTW, my disk is humming so I know it is spinning but there are no clicking or clanking sounds so no platter issures.

Back
Top Bottom