Idle harddrive temperatures.

Comp_Pro

In Runtime
Hi old friends. Boy, have I been a member here for a while.

I recently built a new system which has made my wallet feel very light. For storage I purchased 2 x 2TB WD Black harddrives. I notice that the idle temperature for them is around 50-55 degrees celcius. (That is 122F - 131F) for you Americans out there.

Is this normal? What temperatures do harddrives usually idle at?

This is a page that gives information on WD Black drives. WD Black

Thank you all.

Edit: Added my machine specs to my sig :)

Edit 2: I also wanted to ask, how hot should I allow these to get before powering off my machine?

Last edited:
They're running slightly high for a PC system but certainly not overheating. Around 20+ ~ 40 degrees is about average for such a system, though it's nothing to really be concerned about they'll still function fine at that temperature. You could simply install an extra cooling fan for them or re-arrange them so they have space (ie: not on top/next to each other).

Unless they reach highs of 60+ I'd start getting concerned that something's wrong.

Keeping in mind that these are WD Blacks which run at 10k RPM vs the standard 7200 RPM this is just fine. Blacks run hotter by nature, and the ones I ran were right in that same range. There's nothing to worry about here.
{edit}
looks likes they have changed a bit and no longer run at 10k, but they now have two CPUS built in which again adds heat.

Keeping in mind that these are WD Blacks which run at 10k RPM vs the standard 7200 RPM this is just fine. Blacks run hotter by nature, and the ones I ran were right in that same range. There's nothing to worry about here.
{edit}
looks likes they have changed a bit and no longer run at 10k, but they now have two CPUS built in which again adds heat.

I had x2 Seagate Barracuda's that also run at 10k rpm running on a raid that were cooler than this. Though it was a while back and storage space has tripled since then.

Back
Top Bottom