Which Virus Protection to Get (for a Computer Newbie)?

I would go for Nortons

:eek: :facepalm: :sick: :banghead: :angry: :nonono: :(

Sorry I was at a loss for words so I just used Smilies. Ok, I've regained my composure.

1. Norton is an awful resource hog (I haven't used it in a long while but this is really a moot point based on #2).
2. There are plenty of FREE antiviruses that do just as good, if not better

You really should look into AVG (which I use now that Microsoft doesn't even recommend MSE) or Avast which alot of people here use.

If you insist on paying (if it makes you feel safer) then look into ESet/Kaspersky.

I would recommend Kaspersky, it's not free but affordable. Avast is free, yes! Unfortunately, it scans and removes system files/ directories, common problem is OS error! Which you will need to reinstall OS!
I've never heard of this. Avast is one of the most recommended free antiviruses out there.

Last edited:
:eek: :facepalm: :sick: :banghead: :angry: :nonono: :(

Sorry I was at a loss for words so I just used Smilies. Ok, I've regained my composure.

1. Norton is an awful resource hog (I haven't used it in a long while but this is really a moot point based on #2).
2. There are plenty of FREE antiviruses that do just as good, if not better

Haha nice one. :lol:
I ofcause agree. F**k Norton

We have had this topic many times. it's always avast that is the most popular.
Followed by the AVG and the paid kaspersky

+1 for the norton resource hog commentary, completely accurate. +1 also for ESET, excellent behavioural antivirus (rather than the common signature based methods) as a paid alternative. I also prefer AVG to MSE, but I think the configuration out-of-the-box is probably a little closer aligned.

Regardless, my main point stands of using safe browsing/email habits and you'll protect yourself a lot better i.e. you shouldn't rely your AV software and go charing around the internet on a whim, but it's good to have as a last line of defence.

It's also important to note that AV performance rankings do change a lot over the course of a year - what's best now might not be next time. As these rankings change, malware authors will look to evade the 'best' / most popular AV at the time, therefore a flip-flop effect does occur periodically. All the more reason to rely upon yourself, and less on the AV companies.

For everyone who said Avast +1 and I recommend it. I used to use AVG but now Avast and its excellent although they database and virus definitions are updated every day and notifications get annoying but other than still good.

I would recommend Kaspersky, it's not free but affordable. Avast is free, yes! Unfortunately, it scans and removes system files/ directories, common problem is OS error! Which you will need to reinstall OS!

I've never ever had this problem, I've formatted PC's and reinstalled Windows then put Avast on and never had this problem.

I would go for Nortons

Are you crazy, Norton is the biggest piece of bloatware ever made and put on a computer out of the box. As everyone else has said all it is a resource hog and bloatware.

Regardless, my main point stands of using safe browsing/email habits and you'll protect yourself a lot better i.e. you shouldn't rely your AV software and go charing around the internet on a whim, but it's good to have as a last line of defence.

Hey guys - Thanks a bunch for the comments! :flowers:

I really appreciate the time and effort you guys put into it.

I am also appreciative of the reminder that using safe browsing and email habits is a good preventative measure to take as well, so as to not put yourself in a position of even encountering dangerous things to start with! Good tip/reminder!!

A quick question I have for you guys. I STILL haven't gotten an anti-virus yet, but will likely do it tomorrow night.

When it comes to what you all refer to as "resource hogging," would that even affect my web browsing? I know I didn't mention this in this thread, but I explained in another thread of mine on advice for being a new laptop that I was primiarly going to be using it for personal email and web-surfing, but nothing involving games or audio/video conferencing or editing, etc. I wouldn't mind an anti-virus using up resources if:

a.) it kept me the safest
b.) it didn't put a huge damper on web-browsing

But, being the super careful person I am, I really would rather even be safe I guess than have extremely fast browsing. I just would want to feel better at night so to speak. From a strictly safety standpoint, do any of the programs stand out as the best in that department (irregardless of how it might dampen computer performance)?

Appreciate it!! :)

If I read between the lines, it sounds like you want to know if Norton is the 'safest'. Any oft he other programs mentioned are just as safe (and maybe safer). You will be better off picking any of them beside Norton.

For what its worth, I've never actually gotten a virus on one of my computers, ever. Some I run with AVG, some with MSE, and some with nothing at all. It's all about safe browsing.

If I read between the lines, it sounds like you want to know if Norton is the 'safest'. Any oft he other programs mentioned are just as safe (and maybe safer). You will be better off picking any of them beside Norton.

Agreed, I understand your question to mean this also (and it is a valid question) - I'd happily sacrifice a little usability for additional security, however in this instance you'd not be getting any, so stick with those mentioned and you should be fine.

It's definitely worth noting that whichever you choose, make sure you familiarise yourself with the configuration options (preferably the advanced ones too) and set it up such that archives are scanned, rootkits are checked for, system files are scanned and anything else which it offers which won't be on by default.

For what its worth, I've never actually gotten a virus on one of my computers, ever. Some I run with AVG, some with MSE, and some with nothing at all. It's all about safe browsing.

Nor have I, completely agree with the browsing habits, as already stated previously.

Back
Top Bottom