Desktop Vs Laptop Performance

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey Guys and Dolls,

I have a little query in regards to the performance of Desktop and Laptop processors. I know generally you will get "a lot" more bang for your buck with desktop PCs as they obviously don't have all the convenience of a laptop.

But I'm wondering how drastic the difference is.

All of my work at the minute is done on my Laptop it's a 3rd gen i5 3210M with 6Gb RAM.

How would this very cheap desktop compare in terms of performance?
Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com
Now it's a 4th gen i5 and it's got a little more RAM so i expect it to be a bit better but would it be much better?

What about this?
Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

Essentially my laptop is used like my desktop, it sits on my desk connected to 2 external monitors, an external keyboard and mouse. What this means is on the rare occasion I do want to take my laptop somewhere it's a bit of a fuss. I want to match the performance of my laptop in a desktop in the cheapest way possible.

Thanks for the reply but I'm not looking for a general desktop vs laptop purely their processor performance.

Ie would a 4th gen i5 laptop CPU be as powerful as a 4th gen i5 desktop CPU? If not how big is the gap?

Thanks for the reply but I'm not looking for a general desktop vs laptop purely their processor performance.

Ie would a 4th gen i5 laptop CPU be as powerful as a 4th gen i5 desktop CPU? If not how big is the gap?

A desktop cpu would be better, the power and heat are reduced in laptops, that's because cpus are clocked down in laptops.

Yes a desktop CPU would be better for the reasons that Iantdemo said and you would notice the difference in performance and if you need more power you can upgrade your CPU in the desktop and other parts whereas a laptop you can't but I prefer a laptop as I need it for study and like the portability. If I want to do more than one thing without switching windows I just plug into a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Sorry if I went off topic..

Last edited:
The difference between 3rd gen (Ivy Bridge) and 4th gen (Haswell) isn't going to be noticed most likely. Based on what I can find it's around a 5-10% increase (seems to be quoted at like 6%) in performance. Not sure what your work involves, but I wouldn't think that you'll notice the difference. The guys over at Tom's Hardware would probably be much more able to answer a question about the difference between the 2 with one being in a laptop and the other in a desktop.

The difference between 3rd gen (Ivy Bridge) and 4th gen (Haswell) isn't going to be noticed most likely. Based on what I can find it's around a 5-10% increase (seems to be quoted at like 6%) in performance. Not sure what your work involves, but I wouldn't think that you'll notice the difference. The guys over at Tom's Hardware would probably be much more able to answer a question about the difference between the 2 with one being in a laptop and the other in a desktop.

He is a programmer if I am correct so he'd need that extra bit of desktop power for compiling code and running other CPU hungry tasks, But like Jmac said 3rd or 4th would do and you wouldn't see the difference.

He is a programmer if I am correct so he'd need that extra bit of desktop power for compiling code and running other CPU hungry tasks, But like Jmac said 3rd or 4th would do and you wouldn't see the difference.

Compiling isn't all that cpu intensive. I've seen no difference compiling the same code on a gen 1 i3 vs gen 4 i7. RAM and HDD make the largest difference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Computer Forums mobile app

I know for a fact you wouldn't notice a difference, unless you do music or video editing and timed the rendering but to be honest you wouldn't see much of a difference.

Same question, what are the actual physical difffrences then? Are they the same chip, i.e Ix laptop prossor and a Ix desktop prosessor are they the same chip i.e size and spec just been throttled down with lower power requirments or are they diffrent chips entierly and hence never going to be as powerfull??

I take it they are actual diffrent as they are the mobile version of the chip?

Back
Top Bottom