Windows 7 laptop - Explorer.exe does not work & error messages

Lennatron

Beta member
Hello all,

I have a Dell Studio 1555 Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit)

The past week it has been giving me the following error message on startup: "Error performing in page error" I click okay and Windows Explorer would take about five minutes to work (if i moused over it I would get the blue spinning mouse).

After Windows Explorer loaded the computer ran perfectly fine and fast the way it normally does. Now I am getting two error messages on startup (Link at bottom)

The computer is now to the point where it is unusable because Windows Explorer is constantly frozen. Sometimes Windows will attempt to restart explorer.exe (which takes several minutes) but after it restarts it is still frozen. I've also noticed that even typing my password on the Windows Login screen is extremely slow since the two error messages started coming up.

The only way I can use the computer is if I boot in Safe Mode where Windows Explorer works perfectly and I get no error messages.

I just tried the Windows Startup Repair. I opened the diagnostic and repair details after it said "Windows cannot repair this computer automatically." All of the tests "Completed successfully" However at the bottom of the details it says: "Repair action: System files integrity check and repair. Result: Failed. Error code = 0x45": (Link Below)

Error Messages Slideshow by Lennatron | Photobucket

Thanks in advance!

Could be a number of things, but I'd hazard a guess towards either dodgy memory (run memtest to check for this, Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool) or hard drive corruption (this could have just happened randomly, or could be a sign of a failing hard drive.)

Either way, I'd run memtest and see what that finds, then if all looks ok there I'd wipe and reinstall from scratch, making sure you do a "full format" (not a quick format) which scans through and flags any bad sectors as unusable.

I'm 100% sure if you goto start, type msconfig and click startup tab you will see something their that is causing the problem, try ticking everything off apart from your anti virus and microsoft programs, press OK and restart.

should work now.

Run ccleaner (download it) and run both a full system scan and a reg scan, then after this restart again.

Yeah start with hardware, run the memtest quoted above, if that's clean go into SafeMode and schedule a disk scan.

Next try clearing the system page file when you shut down, link here How to Clear the Windows Paging File at Shutdown. You may have to go into safe mode to do this.

If there's no change then do as above and load msconfig.exe, click on the startup tab and deselect everything & restart.

If it's still the same after all that I'd assume you have some rootkit or something making the system unstable. So seek out virus checking and anti-rootkit scans, though personally I'd just wipe it and start again.

Back
Top Bottom