Windows 7 license

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi Guys,

Long time no post. Hope you are all well!

Basically in a bit of conundrum. I have recently been made redundant from work. The work computer that I built has my MY copy of Windows 7 on it (they paid for computer parts).

Now, I could just put all the files onto a flash drive and then format the drive so they have their files but not my windows 7.

Do you guys know of any alternatives? Is it possible for me to remove my key (disarm it?), so they then have something like 15 days to purchase a new key? Least that way I could leave all the files. And it would be up to them to sort it out to get it strait back to normal.

Frankly the way they have treated us has been disgraceful, so I am tempted to leave them up the creek without any paddle, but im a reasonable guy :D I guess If I was to just format the whole computer though I could get in trouble as I guess with the files the company has digital ownership (even though it was only really me using them)

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers,

This is a copy phase from another website a stumbled across when searching for a solution.
  1. Open a command prompt as an Administrator.
  2. Enter slmgr /upk and wait for this to complete. This will uninstall the current product key from Windows and put it into an unlicensed state.
  3. Enter slmgr /cpky and wait for this to complete. This will remove the product key from the registry if it's still there.
  4. Enter slmgr /rearm and wait for this to complete. This is to reset the Windows activation timers so the new users will be prompted to activate Windows when they put in the key.

This should put the system back to a pre-key state.
Hope it helps.

Thanks BikerEcho. That seems likes a great solution. As soon as I know the date when I'm off, I will do that.

Thanks again.

Can we just step back for a second and ask, was this a retail copy of windows 7 or did you buy an OEM version?

Just making sure as you can't legally do what you want to do if it was OEM. Being that you have a retail key you're good to go with Biker's directions :)

Thanks for double checking for me mate. I've done Bikers advice and now am on Gardening leave.

Anyone got a job for me??!! :p

Back
Top Bottom