mapping a network drive with RDP

svsaunders

Beta member
Hey,

I do a lot of work at home and seem to used windows RDP client all the time to access my work based desktop and associated files via my home laptop and broadband network. until now this has served to do what I needed it to do however I have heard that its possible to map my work PC and other network drives via RDP to make the whole process quicker, smoother and ultimately a more useful experience.

The only snag is that I don't have a clue how to do it - can anyone offer some light on how to accomplish such task please?

Many Thanks

Scott

So you are saying for you personal computer you want to map you work file share to it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

I want to be able to load up my person laptop and have a folder on my desktop that is mapped towards both my work PC's hard drive as well as a main storage space on a desperate hard drive in my office service...we call in a S drive..

Can it be done?

It can, but not like you're expecting.

If you want to map a drive, you simply issue a command in command prompt.

net use x: \\servername\share /user:username@domainname /persistent:yes

However,
When you log into your laptop, and you're NOT on the VPN, you'll get errors that the drive cannot be mapped.
If you connect to the VPN and attempt to access the drive, you'll have to provide a password.
Since your personal laptop is not part of the company domain, you have to specify that in the request. (e.g. \\server.company.com\share)
If you're mapping to your work PC, then you have to know the hostname (run CMD and type "hostname" (without quotes))
So, if I were to map my work PC I would do some similar to:

net use y: \\amd3030yrc.company.local\c$\sharedfolder /user:username@company.local /persistent:yes

Where Y is the drive I want it to be on my home computer.

The target folder on your work PC has to be shared.
You'll get annoying popups when you're not on VPN
Windows may disconnect the drive depending on a few things

My Advice?
Just create a new shortcut on your desktop, or where ever you want to access it from and in the "Location" field, just enter the location of the shared folder:
e.g.
\\hostname.company.local\c$\sharedfolder

Then when you click on it, you just have to supply username/password and there it is.

Last edited:
open RDP client

click options

click on the Local Resources tab

on the local resources tab click more
expand the drives option

select the drive that you want from your local machine to appear on the remote machine

Back
Top Bottom