remote access/video streaming recommendations needed

Cortb

In Runtime
not sure if this belongs here or in networking, but here goes.

my brother works a job that has a lot of downtime so he brings his hdd loaded with movies and videos and music etc. and hooks it up to his work computer. however, he frequently forgets it at home. so, im looking for the easiest way he can access those videos remotely. i dont really care how its done, as long as its easy. i was thinking maybe an ftp server application or maybe just a way to remotely access his computer so he could upload what he wants to google drive.

ALL opinions appreciated!

personal opinion here...

pretty much regardless of what hi connection is,

he does not have enough upstream bandwidth to stream movies to his computer at work.

that said, just install apache (or any other web server) at home.
use either dyndns or noip to get a dynamic address.

then use the quick time player on the PC at work (or VLC) to connect to the file on the http/web server, it will start playing before being fully downloaded and buffer just like a normal video...

but then it's likely to be horribly stuttery, and take very frequent long pauses to buffer.

Thanks for the input. We have 8-12Mbit/s upstream here at the house, but we skipped the streaming due to fears that higher quality files might take a while to buffer.
We decided to go with google's remote viewing so he could remotely access his library and upload select files to his google drive account for downloading at work, eliminating any possibility of stuttering or buffering. My brother says the refresh rate for the screen sharing isn't great but it gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom