Virus removal kills Internet

tmc8295

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, i'm the head computer technician at a big local store. .. I removed a couple hundred viruses in a PE environment and now no Internet connection works, it can see and connect to networks but is not able to actually make use of said networks. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Computer Forums mobile app

Oh boy... those suck.

I've only once been able to fix this without a DoD Wipe > Reinstall. Here's what I did.

First, we need to clear any settings cached, saved or otherwise.
Power off, unplug, press power button (several times) to flush RAM. Restore power and boot up.

In Admin CMD prompt, issue these commands
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
arp -d

Go to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc and open 'hosts'
Highlight all and delete

Power off and repeat the process above to flush the RAM.

Boot up and uninstall all NIC drivers.
Open IE and reset everything to factory (clear cache/cookies, Advanced Tab ("Restore Advanced Settings" and "Reset" w/"Delete personal settings" checked))

Open Admin CMD and issue the following
sfc /scannow --This will take a while and may fix some stuff
chkdsk /r/f --Requires reboot and will do the DOS style chkdsk

Install NIC drivers and cross your fingers.

I've actually already done some of those but I'll have to try the others when I get back in

I once saw a PC with a virus injected into the TCP/IP driver,
removing the virus deleted the driver, meaning that no networking worked.

The only fix was to replace the file with the file from the windows CD.

Do you have any idea exactly what is not working about the internet?
(for example is it only IE that is broken? can you use the command line to ping a network address? (either local or remote))

The computer itself can see other networks and connect to them fine. But you can't actually use it.... chrome, ie, etc. Otherwise I would have replaced the driver.

so...

you can open the command prompt and see your IP address is assigned properly.
you can ping the router on your network and get replies.
are you able to use nslookup to test that name resolution is working properly (i.e type nslookup Google at the command prompt)?

but IE, and chrome don't work.

I assume that you've checked the settings of both to make sure that the software isn't trying to proxy connections etc.

are you able to open a connection to a website using telnet and connecting on port 80?

Ya I've checked the settings for them. They're all good. I'm getting the feeling it's something deeper as even with a direct hard wire connection it does not recognize anything at all and Wi-Fi recognizes but cannot make use of

Back
Top Bottom