Anyone here work in I.T

emperor76

In Runtime
The title might be a captain obvious moment, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't find an appropriate one, I have wanted to work in computer repair for a long time but am hindered by lack of knowledge/qualifications, I've decided to pull my finger out and get to the library for the time being. Yesterday I came across this http://www.icslearn.co.uk/distance-learning-courses/ics-pc-repair-upgrading.aspx and I was wondering if it's likely to help me, has anyone done anything similar, or happen to know if it would be greatly beneficial to me.

Hey,

First off I think you need to look at exactly what area of IT you want to work in / are interested in, there are so many different areas each of which requiring their own skills.

Do you want some form of software job?
Could be Tech Support via Telephone
Software Developer? Web or Windows / Mac
Hardware Technician
Database Administrator
Network Administrator

So many different areas, where would you ideally like to be?

Hey,

First off I think you need to look at exactly what area of IT you want to work in / are interested in, there are so many different areas each of which requiring their own skills.

Do you want some form of software job?
Could be Tech Support via Telephone
Software Developer? Web or Windows / Mac
Hardware Technician
Database Administrator
Network Administrator

So many different areas, where would you ideally like to be?
I would say I'm best with hardware, I already build/repair them, so repairing computers for people would be ideal, or I.T support, any sort of programming for me would need a lot more learning, my biggest hindrance in I.T is my maths, my maths really isn't great

I think based upon your comments your best bet for a first step on the ladder is perhaps looking into an IT support role, perhaps as low as 1st lien support (reading scripts off a screen).

But it gets your foot in the door, whilst doing a job like that you could be taking a course like an A+ or something to help you move on from that.

Thanks for your help, I've seen a couple of I.T support jobs advertised locally which I'm just doing my C.V for, but they seem to want me to have good maths, which I don't. Just been looking at the course you mentioned, would you say then that it would be more beneficial than the course I included in the link? I was actually going to call the college back tomorrow after I'd considered my options, just looked and I don't think they do the course you mentioned, although it does look good, I will have to have a proper look when the kids are in bed though when I have more time.

Last edited:
I'm probably not the best person to ask about courses I've always disliked formal education . . . . My belief has been you start at the bottom of a company and work your way up.
Call Center Advisor
Systems Support Administrator
SQL Reporting Administrator
Support and Implementation Consultant
Software Developer

Although I've heard of ICS I've never heard of "ICS PC Repair and Upgrading Course".
The Comptia A+ and some of the Microsoft courses such as MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) are probably going to serve you better in terms of industry wide recognition.

I'm probably not the best person to ask about courses I've always disliked formal education . . . . My belief has been you start at the bottom of a company and work your way up.
Call Center Advisor
Systems Support Administrator
SQL Reporting Administrator
Support and Implementation Consultant
Software Developer

Although I've heard of ICS I've never heard of "ICS PC Repair and Upgrading Course".
The Comptia A+ and some of the Microsoft courses such as MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) are probably going to serve you better in terms of industry wide recognition.

I haven't had much luck with college so far, in the whole year in foundation I.T, I learned less about computers than I did in three days from a friend who basically helped me strip an old computer, it had a p166 so it was pretty old, within 3 days I knew where everything was and was able to do it myself and dangerously upgrade to a p433, even though the psu wasn't right, but it was early days and I was at very early stages of learning, so I'm with you so far on the formal education, but there is one other avenue I'm considering, I would actually quite like working in a repair shop, or even doing it from home, but I want to feel confident in my abilities, there have been many times I've had to seek help in forums, when I feel I should already know, everyone I've repaired computers for I've just done as a favour for people I know and I've never charged anyone, other than the price of the parts when I've needed to replace them. I've noticed it includes mobile devices which will be a new area for me, but also probably usefull with the way technology is going. I'm going to have to closely look at the courses available to me later, thanks again for the help, it's certainly opened up some options for me to consider and may well stop me throwing a lot of money on the wrong choice.

Last edited:
Formal education is important. I got my Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, and am now almost done with my Master's in the same field. I did work through college and gained a lot of knowledge through work, but having the degree got me an interview for my current job. I am an Information Systems Manager for my city, which I enjoy. Having the knowledge is important, but having the degree to back it up validates the knowledge.

I have to say that lower level IT courses really just validate knowledge. I have some lower level qualifications in IT Support and work in supplies. Higher level qualifications is where things get past knowledge and move into learning. Problem is that it's difficult to get higher qualifications without lower ones.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

I have to say that lower level IT courses really just validate knowledge. I have some lower level qualifications in IT Support and work in supplies. Higher level qualifications is where things get past knowledge and move into learning. Problem is that it's difficult to get higher qualifications without lower ones.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Hmm, I didn't get far enough to find out, having bad grades at school I had to start at the bottom, then being young, I was more interested in messing around and getting far to tempted when I seen the bus home on my break, as a result I failed based purely on my bad maths, I'd managed the I.T side just fine, I regret this now. I then passed NVQ level one I.T and got sucked into passing level 2 in admin as I couldn't find one in I.T that didn't involve me paying, I think I lost direction a bit at this time, these are things I'm regretting now and I'm going to try and rectify, although I still find maths very daunting, which is one of the reasons I'm edging more towards the hands on repair side of things, plus it's fun

Back
Top Bottom