computer wont start

christoffer1992

Beta member
Okay so ill briefly try and explain to you my problem. Im not going to include any specs of my system in the following but rather ill simple describe the symptoms my computer is suffering from.

My computer is an old desktop pc running windows vista, and once in a while the computer wont boot. When i turn on the pc and then the monitor you would normally see the POST; but this isn't the case in some situations? in these situation the computer will power up and everything is running, except the monitor where the LED light just flashes and keeps being black with not a single indication of what might be wrong. When this happen i usually just power the computer off and then back on. Other times i unplug everything plugged to the computer and then back in again. Ive also tried to swap the harddisk out with another, but only to face the same result. Basically if i can boot from the normal harddisk then i can also boot from the second harddisk and vice versa so its definetely not the harddisk that is bothering me nor is it the PSU and i can also exclude the monitor based on the fact that if i unplug the compluter and plug another desktop in the place of the original then it will power up immediately which leaves me suspecting that its my graphic card that is troubling me. Thanks for your time, sincerely Christoffer.

Are you using onboard video or a video card plugged in? If video card I'd check that it's firmly seated. You should not be able to see the contacts in the slot if seated properly.

I use an video card plugged into a slot and i can confirm that its firmly seated; also it should be pointed out that this problem only occur 2 out of ten times when you power on the pc

Well it wouldn't hurt to re-install the drivers for the grafics card again, just to rule out any driver problems.

I'm thinking your PSU is not up to snuff. It sound like it's under powered.

It would seem to me it's either drivers, the card itself is on its way out or the PSU isn't kicking out enough juice.

As already said try to reinstall the drivers.

If that doesn't work try the on board graphics. Although you may have to change a setting in the BIOS for that to work.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

Post your system specs, not a driver problem of he doesn't get a post.

Touch the graphics card underneath while it's on, maybe overheating, do not touch the resisters or copper. Trust me you won't get a shock just to see how hot it is, if it's really hot id advice you to download speed fan bearing in mind your card has a fan and a heat sensor, most likely it has if it has a fan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom