Unbricking Open824RLW Router

BK_123

Golden Master
So I got an old Open824RLW Router in a heap of gear I got a few months ago, When I first got it I connected to it my Windows 7 laptop via ethernet and it worked fine picking up an IP address via the DHCP server in the router but didn't get the chance to have a good play with it. I've been and tried to get into it but the system light doesn't go green like it should. After a Google search I've found that the router is bricked and that there is recovery utility I can use.

My question is, Is this the cable Compatible Console RJ45 TO DB9 Female Adapter Blue Cable Cord 1 7M | eBay that I'll need to use a consol port and in a guide I read I can use a ethernet cable (One I listed) instead of a consol cable.

tb2299_2.jpg

http://au.billion.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8469&hl=recovery

yes that console cable will work, but like you said you should be able to use just a regular ethernet cable, but if it is not pulling an IP that might be a little difficult. if you get the console cable get yourself a copy of Putty, it lets you console into switches and routers and such. nice program :) honestly before you buy it try just consoling into using ethernet and the IP of the router. putty will let you use the ip.

Power it up holding the reset button down. Hold the button until the lights show normal operation.

The console port in the picture looks like it's a ps2 connection.

The rj45 style console port tends to be found on Cisco gear.

(Though on newer stuff they are rolling out USB ports for console access rather than serial as most people don't have serial now)

it might be what root said youll need a PS/2 to serial or it also looks like a S-video connection..

That's an address that's negotiated when there is no dhcp server and no static address...

If your direct connection address ends in a 1, try connecting to the router using the same first three octets, but a 2 as the fourth.

Have you tried setting your card to a static address in the same network range that the router used to be in and trying to connect to the old router address.

Failing that you'll need a console cable, or to break it open and find a jtag interface.

As the previous poster mentioned, static config might be your only option. i would conduct a search in the manual to see what the default IP is for the device. If the manual specifies such address, you want to configure your network adapter a static IP on the same /24 subnet of that network address. If your router's IP is 192.168.1.1, assign your network adapter to be 192.168.1.x (where x is a value between 2-254) configure the subnet mask to be 255.255.255.0, default gateway is not needed. Run an arp -a command to check to see if any other ip's are listed with an arp table mapping. If another address is displayed other than the one you configured in your net adapter settings. Then that is the ip of the router in recovery mode. Obtain a basic image of the firmware and re-upload into device if possible

Back
Top Bottom