Installed

BrewWins

Beta member
My apologies if this is the incorrect forum... Im new here! I know zero about computers!

My computer stopped working and a friend told me my harddrive might be fried. I figured it would be a good time to upgrade my HDD and start from scratch. I watched some tutorials on youtube and it seemed simple so i just swapped out the existing WD HDD for another one... Exact same but more storage. I might be making an incorrect assumption, but I figured i would need a new OS once i swapped HDDs, so I got a new copy of windows 8.
I put in the disc, but nothing happens. No startup screen, no windows 8 install, no "no harddrive detected"... Nothing.
Please help! :)

What kind of PC do you have? Do you know the model number? (e.g. HP Pavillion something something?)

What happens after you power on? You should get the BIOS screen, right? (press F10 for setup with the manufacturer logo...?)

When you turn the PC on, is there a series of beeps or just one? Or none at all?

What kind of PC do you have? Do you know the model number? (e.g. HP Pavillion something something?)

What happens after you power on? You should get the BIOS screen, right? (press F10 for setup with the manufacturer logo...?)

When you turn the PC on, is there a series of beeps or just one? Or none at all?

Its an HP quadcore 8GB something... I dont know much and obviously cant access "about"

The pc fires up and sounds like all is normal. No beeps, nothing unusual. I double checked the video cable.

One strange thing I noticed, was that after I turned it on the dvd tray would only stay open for like 1 second. So I quickly slid in the windows disc. Not sure if this has any relevance, but seemed odd.

I will try F10 and see if that starts it up. Thanks!

Alright, on the side, or back of the PC somewhere, there will be a sticker like the below. This tells you the model number. (more below)

Now, when you power on, does the monitor stay black? Or do you see the HP screen and then nothing?

Also, it should beep once. A single beep (unless they've changed it recently) indicates all is well as far as the BIOS hardware check is concerned.

Sticker Info:
HP_Model_Number.jpg

Do you get a post on the screen, if so it will say what key button to press to enter the bios, push that, locate in bios boot order or boot settings, make sure the cd/DVD is set to first then your hard drive, now save it, save normally is F10 then press yes.

Your cd/DVD is the correct ISO format, make sure your windows 8 disk is burnt via the ISO setting.

It's normal for the DVD drive to open and close at the very beginning.

Back
Top Bottom