No signal popping up on my screen

robsplosive

Solid State Member
I recently was given a cpu ( i7 quad core) and it was put together in 2008 with high end hardware. The only thing is that he took out the hard drive. I tried hooking up my hard drive which is a lot older and everything is on and running except my monitor screen reads ( no signal) then shuts off. Any idea why?

My roomate made the point that my hard drive I installed ( old ) does not have the right software for the (video card) ( motherboard ) and ram.

If you put that hard drive in with a copy of windows that had been installed on another copy it won't work. You have to reinstall it.

What about the hardware for the mother board and ram

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

So what I need to do is buy windows and download the software on to my new hard drive. As well as download the software for the motherboard, graphic card, and ram?

If it was a problem with the OS on the drive it wouldn't shut off, but constantly re-start. Do you even see it go through POST? Are you able to get into the BIOS to change settings? If not, I'm thinking you might have fried the CPU when you ran it without the heatsink.

If you take the CPU out and look at it close, check the pins are lined up, check if any burnt marks are around.

If their is no beep then it doesn't sound like a big problem.

Reseat the CPU for now and reset CMOS to.

Back
Top Bottom