PSU Question

Rainzy

Baseband Member
G'day Guys, Have an Fx 6300 CPU, and an R9 270x OC 2GB (powercolor) on the way,

was wondering what power supply would i need to run this, i currently have a 500w, but have to upgrade due to only have 1 6 pin connector, and the GPU requiring 2, could i get away with upgrading to a newer 500w PSU that has 2 6 pin connectors, or would i need atleast 550w or so?

Cheers!

BikerEcho's recommendation is spot on.

To add: You can figure out exactly how much power you'd need by Google'ing the "TDP" for each part. This is the max amount of power that the unit will draw from the PSU.

Once you have that number, then you need to find a PSU with a few features (as mentioned above). One important feature that I stick to is a single 12V rail. Some PSU's will split the 12V line into multiple 'rails' and if done improperly can seriously damage your parts.

Again though, the one posted by BikerEcho is a great buy, and a quality PSU.

My estimated Watt use was 428 watts, it recommended a psu of atleast 478
would this be a good one? Corsair VS550 550W Power Supply Units PSU

If you can find a place to buy it... it'll work fine. I couldn't find any available though when I was trying to find one to see specs. All listed as out of stock.

Yeah mate, a local store has them in stock,

Just quickly, would there be a bottleneck at all between my CPU and GPU?

Just quickly, would there be a bottleneck at all between my CPU and GPU?

That really depends on what you want to do with that setup. A 'quick' answer is going to be, your CPU is the bottleneck, and your GPU will probably be able to 'keep up with the times' for a longer period of time. The FX 6300 performs well in some areas, and worse than older chips in others.

For gaming, you probably won't suffer too much, if at all, because your GPU is going to take the brunt of the load, and your GPU is pretty beefy. The FX can handle the 'new' instruction sets, but suffers a bit in the 'multi-threaded' performance area.

Again, depends on what you're looking to do with the setup.

EDIT: I'm really shooting from the hip here and a 'better' answer would come from a lot of benchmarks related to your desired use. I haven't done too much investigation into either of those products other than quick tidbits and reviews I've stumbled on.

Last edited:
Okay awesome, would much rather replace the CPU rather than the GPU haha.

I'm Mainly looking to game, I'm not too fussed with amazing performance in the CPU area when not gaming.

Also I Notice with the R9 270X there is quite a few different brands, MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, Sapphire etc, Is there a definitive best?

There's a lot of debate on that... that can get as detailed as where the copper for the parts is produced.

I've always stuck with XFX simply because their warranty policy is the best, hands down.
A lot seem to stick to Sapphire for performance, but I've never had huge issues with any of my XFX cards and when I did, they replaced without question (have to have receipt though).

Back
Top Bottom