Problem assigning IP adresses in public networc (only me?)

Leiannar

Beta member
Hi there,

I've been having problems accessing internet from this study room I go, they have set a wirleless internet connection for its users. It's a secure network WPA2, they provide the password there.

The first day I went I used my laptop (Toshiba with windows 7) and it worked perfectly, but the next day, it didn't work, it connected to the network but not to the internet. I launched the troubleshoot manager, it told me to reset the modem or router, or unplug it for ten seconds. Obviously that's impossible, so I told it to find something else, after a few minutes, it said that there were problems assigning an IP address and it was unable to give me any solution.

I tried with my mobile phone then, a smartphone with android, and then with my tablet, also with android, but both of them were equally unable to connect to the internet, they just kept trying but they were never able to assign IP addresses.

Now I'm totally unable to access the internet from there. I seriously need to use it, but It never works. I'm completely at a loss here since no one else there seems to be having the same problems than I, no one else has complained about this and everyone use their laptops, mobiles, tablets, or whatever without problem.

I've tried removing the connection of that network and setting it anew, but it didn't work (not that I expected, but is the only thing I could think of).

Please help! :pcmad:

Thank you!

PS/ Needless to say it only happens there, at home everything works properly.

If none of your devices will connect to that network, I'd venture to guess there's a problem with that network.

Here's something you can try, although I doubt the problem is on your end.

On the laptop, again delete the saved network, but do not re-add it.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run As Administrator..."

In the command prompt, issue the following commands:

ipconfig /release
--Should return an error, but that's okay.

ipconfig /flushdns
arp -d

Now power off the laptop, remove the battery and press the power button a few times to remove all settings that may be saved in RAM.

Return the battery and power on.

Attempt to join the network again.

If unsuccessful, they changed the password OR their network is having issues.

Also before releasing the IP address like iPwn said I'd would do an ipconfig to see if you are actually receiving an address or you are just getting Microsoft's 169 loopback address.

Hi,

Thank you for your answers....

Apparently I had only to post here for the problem to go away... Today the internet is working perfectly for all my devices :ermm:

I guess the problem was theirs, as we though. But I'm seriously concerned if this happens again. I need to be connected there and I'm afraid the issue might come back.

Isn't there a way for me to manually change the IPs or something like that if it happens again?, I mean, I know that there are (ways of changing the IP address), but would it work on this case or it has to do only with the router/modem and I won't be able to do anything?

I'm not an expert on the matter, that's why I'm asking, but if you think that manually changing the IP could work, if someone would care to explain to me how to do it, I would be very, very, very thankful! Or if you have any other suggestions, they are also very welcome!

Thank you, again!

Well if it happens again do what IPwn said. It might be an issue with there DHCP server and they are not releasing the ip addresses quickly enough and running out of ip's to give.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Computer Forums mobile app

Microsoft's 169 loopback address

Close...

127.0.0.1 (IPv4) and ::1 (IPv6) are the loopback addresses.

169.254/16 addresses are failed DHCP requests, turned attempt to connect to other failed requesting devices. A poor idea by MS.

Isn't there a way for me to manually change the IPs or something like that if it happens again?

Not without their blessing. For a statically assigned IP address, you have to ask them what their scope is (what address pool they use for static IP addresses), assuming there even is one for the public network. Getting that information from someone in any IT department is damn near impossible, even if you worked there.

Unfortunately, if you're using their WiFi, you're at the mercy of their poor management.

Great suggestions by everyone. Failed DHCP leases even after trying to resolve the issue on the local machine usually means the issue with the DHCP server on the firewall/router. The issue is usually further exacerbated by the use of external access points which might be oversaturated with too many connections. There are also a few wireless n routers in the consumer market that really struggle with dhcp leases after a few wireless n supported devices establish connectivity to it.

I hope this issue is now a thing of the past for you

Take care

Back
Top Bottom