Windows 7 Retail vs OEM

GeekOfBroadband

Solid State Member
So I'm planning to get windows 7 what version should I get? I'm only going to use it on my laptop so I thought the OEM version would be good but people are saying you need certain hardware. I have windows 8 OEM installed so can I just uninstall that then install windows 7 OEM? Or should I just get the full version

The OEM version is the full version, but it is meant really for system builders, as it comes with no instructions, etc (wouldn't bother most. I'm running Windows 7 Professional OEM). It's exactly the same when you install it except for a few things:

The OEM versions lock to the motherboard installed. Even though you can install new hardware to a certain extent, changing your motherboard makes the OEM version you have useless. It simply won't boot, whereas I believe retail versions have a few hardware changes allowed from Microsoft.

The retail versions I believe also allow running on 3 PC's but the OEM only one.

No direct support from Microsoft (no biggie)

OEM versions cannot be used as updates, to update an older to a newer.

Have you tried Windows 8.1? No likey?

Last edited:
The OEM version is the full version, but it is meant really for system builders, as it comes with no instructions, etc (wouldn't bother most. I'm running Windows 7 Professional OEM). It's exactly the same when you install it except for a few things:

The OEM versions lock to the motherboard installed. Even though you can install new hardware to a certain extent, changing your motherboard makes the OEM version you have useless. It simply won't boot, whereas I believe retail versions have a few hardware changes allowed from Microsoft.

The retail versions I believe also allow running on 3 PC's but the OEM only one.

No direct support from Microsoft (no biggie)

OEM versions cannot be used as updates, to update an older to a newer.

Have you tried Windows 8.1? No likey?

Yes I got windows 8.1 as soon as it came out but I still don't like it, but what I'm saying is my laptop came with windows 8 OEM Installed, so if I formatted the SSD could I just install windows 7 OEM? Then install windows 8 again when I feel like it?

Yes I got windows 8.1 as soon as it came out but I still don't like it, but what I'm saying is my laptop came with windows 8 OEM Installed, so if I formatted the SSD could I just install windows 7 OEM? Then install windows 8 again when I feel like it?

You could format and install Windows 7 no problem. Not sure if you could activate the same 8 licence you were given with the laptop though, but I guess you still do have the key which is again locked to your machine, or well... when you format, you'll still have the genuine Microsoft sticker right?
Not sure how it'd work, as they don't tend to give you installation discs so you would have to find a way of downloading it from them and using the code from your previous installation.

Course you could.

You did say if you wanted to later, you may want to install 8 again. That is what I was refering too based on the key.

You get a disc for your Windows 7 OEM version you have bought.

However, you won't have the installation disc for Windows 8 OEM that was given to you when the laptop was made. All you will have is a part of the hard drive most likely for recovery, but doesn't contain the full version to use.

Back
Top Bottom