CPU turbo

Yes AMD processors have this and have had it for a while now. My last 2 computers cut power when they get too hot and the oldest processor was about 8 years old, maybe 7 years.

I would definitely look into an aftermarket cooler. The processor should last a bit longer if you can get it a bit cooler.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Computer Forums mobile app

Well, you could always run Prime95 to put your CPU through a stress test. This program will also detect issues for you and should expose problems quickly. It's more for testing stability on overclocked systems, but it'll max out your CPU usage and raise the temps for sure. I would have HWMonitor running next to it to watch the temps just in case*. Also, the download links for Prime95 are little trick to find on that page. Under the disclaimer you'll see "download locations", those are the proper links.

EDIT: If your temps still never reach >55C, no need to dump money into an aftermarket cooler, unless you have it to spare I guess.

* Chips will 'cut the power' if a certain temp is reached to prevent damage. Watching temps though, is never a bad idea.

Sorry, been riddled with bsod for a while now, cheers I will try this when I get it working again, I do remember during a bench test the same noise as the warning alarm that goes off when it over heats happens, this happened a lot when I had a thermal paste issue's, it used to exceed 60

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Yes AMD processors have this and have had it for a while now. My last 2 computers cut power when they get too hot and the oldest processor was about 8 years old, maybe 7 years.

I would definitely look into an aftermarket cooler. The processor should last a bit longer if you can get it a bit cooler.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Computer Forums mobile app

Cheers, it will probably be a little further down the line, as there are a couple of parts which are in quite urgent need of getting which I am currently getting in some overtime for, things seem a little tight on my motherboard though so not sure what cooler will fit in

going to try this prime 95 soon, I actually just realised my cpu temp is better than I thought, I was having a look at the differnt menu's in PC Wizard and found I was looking at the main board temp.

Attachments

• cpu temp.jpg
    cpu temp.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5
I noticed the fan going a bit wild while playing Dragon Origins so thought I'd post some stats, I noticed my graphics card is at 52 degree's

Attachments

• fan going wild.jpg
    fan going wild.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Just tried to rectify the cooling issue, I went on a mission to improve airflow, cleaning all vents, fans and filters, then removing any ide cables possible, which meant disconnecting the floppy drive, so thought I might as remove that as well, every little helps right? the optical drive I didn't have a choice until I get a sata one which is pretty cheap, so that should happen soon, tying up some of the cables, removing all the drive bays except the one being used, moving the hard drive as far to the bottom of the case as possible hoping to get more air towards the main board, and last of all, possibly more important than any of the things I did, after putting it all together and noticing the led light on the fan wasn't working, I reconnected the intake fan I forgot to reconnect the other day, Face palm! :hide:

If I was you get a bit of arctic silver 5 and the cool master hyper 212 evo that should be more than enough and it will only set you back like £30

If I was you get a bit of arctic silver 5 and the cool master hyper 212 evo that should be more than enough and it will only set you back like £30
I have looked at cpu coolers before, I do currently have arctic silver on, but I am starting to think it's not the cpu that's the problem now, it always seems to stay cool, even while gaming, the hottest things seems to be the motherboard and graphics card, the graphics card doesn't have it's own fan, so I was thinking of trying to put a fan where the window is, I'm hoping a fan blowing directly on the motherboard and graphics card will make a difference here

Back
Top Bottom