New computer for gaming

bobbylief1

Beta member
There are two computers I could buy. One is the
HP ENVY Phoenix 810-150se Desktop PC
With a 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4820K processor
2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 [DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, DVI to VGA dongle] graphics card

While the other one is the
CORE i7 4770K 3.5GHz 8Gb RAM Nvidia GTX 770 2Gb Custom Gaming Desktop Computer
(found it on ebay)
Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5GHz Quad Core 8MB processor
EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB DDR DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card graphics card

One I guess is off brand but has better CPU and GPU. I have no idea which one would be better for gaming. The links for both are below

Also if it is just for gaming you shouldn't need the i7. That CPU range is more for video rendering and stuff like that.

The rest of the specs are great gaming wise. So maybe you can save a little cash by putting together a list of the parts and an i5. Also think about the haswell series of intel processors. Little more pricey but more up to date.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Computer Forums mobile app

I would go for a custom build instead of the HP..

That's a very broad statement . . . .
If you or I were doing it then yes but someone from eBay who is trying to make a quick buck isn't likely using the best of parts, now processors are processors made by Intel no cheaping out there, but who knows what motherboard, RAM and PSU have been put in it?

Whilst I agree you will probably get better value from a custom built PC, be careful buying off people trying to make a quick profit, I'm not saying there all bad but just watch what components are going into it.

That's a very broad statement . . . .
If you or I were doing it then yes but someone from eBay who is trying to make a quick buck isn't likely using the best of parts, now processors are processors made by Intel no cheaping out there, but who knows what motherboard, RAM and PSU have been put in it?

Whilst I agree you will probably get better value from a custom built PC, be careful buying off people trying to make a quick profit, I'm not saying there all bad but just watch what components are going into it.

This ^^

I'd avoid buying a custom build off eBay and either doing it from scratch yourself and if you need help just ask us or getting a kit like this AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core 4GHz AM3+ Processor, ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard, Patriot 4GB Memory, WD 1TB HHD, LG 24X DVD RW, MSI Radeon HD 5450, Thermaltake 600W PSU, And Cougar Case Bundle at TigerDirect.com, You'd need to get another 4GB of RAM and maybe a better GPU. Take a look at some others Barebone, Barebones, Barebone Computer System Kit, PC at TigerDirect.com and Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! - Newegg.com. Majority of the members who will reply will tell you to go the custom build route too..

Also what is your budget?

@OP
Go for the HP. While I used to be an OEM hater, there's a lot of long-term benefit to purchasing an OEM machine (licensing/drivers/support).

Re: Gaming
Either will perform equally well. Your GPU + RAM combo is typically the 'gaming' bottleneck. This isn't always the case in every PC, but with newer chips/mobo's, that's where you typically need the additional funds.

Re: What to do when you get the PC
Reformat it!!!! The one downside of purchasing an OEM machine is the loads of bloatware they install on it. So, make sure you have all the drivers for it, and then DBAN it (wipe the drive clean) and reinstall Windows! That's how you'll really see the speed of the machine you purchased. HP machine are great too in the fact that they include the OS disc along with the driver/software disc. After you install the OS back on it, put the drivers disc in and there's an option to "Install hardware drivers ONLY" that way the bloatware isn't put back on.

Happy Gaming!

Back
Top Bottom