SteamOS

BK_123

Golden Master
So you may have heard that Steam is releasing there own OS. You can download a beta of the OS here from Steam SteamOS. It is pretty demanding on hardware..

Last edited:
That is crazy requiring 500 gigs or more of hhd space. I guess it's not bad if you already have a 1tb drive.

How come they don't offer a ISO that you can burn to, and install from that. Not everyone can boot from usb. My lappy won't boot from usb I don't know why, Ive tried.

That is crazy requiring 500 gigs or more of hhd space. I guess it's not bad if you already have a 1tb drive.

How come they don't offer a ISO that you can burn to, and install from that. Not everyone can boot from usb. My lappy won't boot from usb I don't know why, Ive tried.

Personally I don't own a system with over 160gb, I'm such a bargain bucket, my system has 75gb rofl, and my laptop is just a joke, someone took the 250/300gb HDD out before I bought it and shoved a 60gb in and took the 1gb memory to, left me with 1gb lol, cheeky, either way I got them down to 120£ for a decent laptop.

I think it's still a big beta, I'm sure they will shrink it and soon enough you'll have it on a usb stick.

I to had a laptop that wouldn't boot from USB, took me about 5 different flash sticks and a few different software to burn to usb, I'm sure you'll be able to do it if you really want to, just a pain in the butt. :facepalm:

Give this one time to mature. I've been using steam on linux for a while, and it's beyond terrible. Bugs everywhere, half the games don't even launch, etc. Valve seems to ignore bug reports entirely, so I wouldn't expect it to be usable for quite a while.

Give this one time to mature. I've been using steam on linux for a while, and it's beyond terrible. Bugs everywhere, half the games don't even launch, etc. Valve seems to ignore bug reports entirely, so I wouldn't expect it to be usable for quite a while.

What distro are you using?

Personally I don't own a system with over 160gb, I'm such a bargain bucket, my system has 75gb rofl, and my laptop is just a joke, someone took the 250/300gb HDD out before I bought it and shoved a 60gb in and took the 1gb memory to, left me with 1gb lol, cheeky, either way I got them down to 120£ for a decent laptop.

I think it's still a big beta, I'm sure they will shrink it and soon enough you'll have it on a usb stick.

I to had a laptop that wouldn't boot from USB, took me about 5 different flash sticks and a few different software to burn to usb, I'm sure you'll be able to do it if you really want to, just a pain in the butt. :facepalm:

I think that's just low for that person to take out the hhd and put in a 60gig
one.

I bought my laptop from my local pawn shop and i really got a good deal on it. It's not that big a deal to not have my usb work at boot. I don't intend to install anything from it anyways.

Last edited:
What distro are you using?

Debian 7.1. Steam has a lot of hardware-dependent bugs that valve just doesn't seem to care about. For example, left 4 dead 2 doesn't even launch on hd 4000 and under. There's been a bug report about it since it released, complete with tons of people having the same thing, but it hasn't been addressed at all. It reminds me a lot of when steam was fairly new on windows. Bugs everywhere, but unless they affect absolutely everybody, valve just ignored them for years.

Back
Top Bottom