Random Chit Chat

The link says it connects via bluetooth to your phone, sends the recording to a translator service, and then sends it back in another language. I would image it would have to be setup before you head out so that it knows what 2 languages you want. Either way, it seems like it is another step in making us more global.

Did some cleanup again yesterday. Here's our load.

11501036516_c611c74181.jpg

Those are 16 foot canoes attached side by side, for size reference.

The next blockage is mainly logs, so it's going to take quite a while to clear. I'll probably need to get a proper winch and some pulling straps for this one. One of the other people has a very heavy duty comealong (Wyeth-scott "more power puller," which is awesome btw) but it'd go twice as fast with another.

Last edited:
It's good to see people such as yourself helping out & cleaning up the rivers. when people pitch in, a lot can get done.

It's good to see people such as yourself helping out & cleaning up the rivers. when people pitch in, a lot can get done.

Yeah, it really doesn't take many. Until I started helping, it's just been two guys working on it. They've already managed to get one bayou fully open, and they apparently had this one mostly open at one point, until it got blocked again by a hurricane.

Here's the new blockage before any work. I'm told there's two more that are as bad or worse than this one. After that, it's just small blockages though.

11500969284_f731c4b882.jpg

Note how we're walking around on top of the bayou. If you watch your footing a bit, it's so dense that it pretty much feels like dry land. There's waist-deep flowing water underneath that though. At least we've gotten outside the city, so the amount of trash has gone way down. Closer to the launch point, any fallen tree would cause a 50 meter long blockage of floating litter. Working on this project has given me a newfound hatred for styrofoam, especially styrofoam cups. Anything plastic will at least remain in one piece, but styrofoam breaks into chunks, usually between the size of a quarter and a silver dollar. It's the biggest pain in the ass to fish them all out. If only there was a way to get companies to stop using this stuff. It'd only take a few. From what I've noticed, pretty much all of it comes from gas station soda cups. There's a few that come from fast food restaurants, but 80-90% is the gas stations.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of debri caused by that hurricane. I guess if i lived in your area I would probably volunteer my time too to help clean up.

Well, I just got a new motherboard from msi. Their crappy board killed my 2600k. Any chance I can get them to make good on this, or am I just out $300?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom