Blu Ray issues

chand-o

Beta member
Hi, I have an LG BP40NS20 usb drive to play my blu rays on my computer. They all work fine except for a new one, The expendable 2. When inserted the disc is not recognised yet will play fine in my PS3. I have tried all sorts of software and have powerdvd10 +13 but still no luck. LG dont seem interested and they claim they don't need to update the driver as its plug and play and they the 2006 windows driver is fine.

Has anyone come across this problem before or have any suggestions?

Cheers

Matt

This is unfortunately still an issue with Blu-rays - even commercial software such as powerdvd hasn't really caught up to a lot of the copy protection crap they're using on them these days, and so in computer land a few of them simply won't play (especially the newer ones as they update the keys on their horrendously broken system.)

The only thing I could recommend beyond keeping powerdvd updated and hoping for a fix would be to use something like MakeMKV - that will rip the Blu-ray to an MKV file which you can then watch on your computer directly. Not an ideal fix I grant you, but at least that way you'll be able to watch it on the computer without having to faff around with the disk. (FWIW I rip all my DVDs / Blu-rays this way and pretty much never have an issue with the result.)

You've tried downloading VLC player?

Sounds to me it's a codec problem, I mean after all, the PS3 plays it but the PC won't? Sounds to me like your ps3 has a codec database which it does and your pc has very little, H.264 sounds like the problem, I'd download VLC:

VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows

I'm sure the above link comes with it but if not below is H.264
VideoLAN - x264, the best H.264/AVC encoder

I may not be 100% correct but it's worth a shot.

If you've already tried this, goto ps3 specs and look at the codecs for blu-ray and then upgrade your computer to the same codec

You've tried downloading VLC player?

Sounds to me it's a codec problem, I mean after all, the PS3 plays it but the PC won't? Sounds to me like your ps3 has a codec database which it does and your pc has very little, H.264 sounds like the problem, I'd download VLC:

VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows

I'm sure the above link comes with it but if not below is H.264
VideoLAN - x264, the best H.264/AVC encoder

I may not be 100% correct but it's worth a shot.

If you've already tried this, goto ps3 specs and look at the codecs for blu-ray and then upgrade your computer to the same codec

It's worth trying, but Blu-ray support in VLC is in quite early stages at the moment - certainly I find it very flaky and only able to play a few disks. For the moment Blu-ray support is one area where the commercial software (like powerdvd) is actually ahead.

It doesn't sound like a codec issue either, since if it was he wouldn't be able to play any Blu-rays on the computer - they all use H264 as part of the spec. The issue is probably with the copy protection instead. To cut a long story short, commercial software that's licensed to play blu-rays has its own key that's used to decrypt the content of the disk, but that key often needs updating since they also constantly update the keys on newer disks (it has to change, because it's easily extractable and hideously broken.) If the key has changed and an update has yet to be released for powerdvd, but has been applied to the PS3 (not unusual since sony is much more directly involved with blu-ray than cyberlink) then newer disks simply won't play. Hence my suggestion that the only real thing to if this is the case is to wait for an update.

As celegorm said, firmware updates could also be worth looking at - it's possible that it's a bug in the firmware that's preventing some disks being played, in which case just keep an eye out for those updates also.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks you the replies.

I cannot find an update to the firmware, LG don't have one as they say the windows driver (dated 2006) is the only one available. Does anyone know of a compatible replacement driver?

Cheers

Matt

Hi, thanks you the replies.

I cannot find an update to the firmware, LG don't have one as they say the windows driver (dated 2006) is the only one available. Does anyone know of a compatible replacement driver?

Cheers

Matt

Are you looking for the right thing? Drivers and firmware are completely different things.

Are you looking for the right thing? Drivers and firmware are completely different things.

Yup, the driver is universal, comes with Windows and won't change in all likelihood. For a optical drive it's role is quite limited.

The firmware is the important bit, that's the software that actually sits on the drive itself (the drive is essentially a mini-computer in its own right, and the firmware is the software it runs.) If there's new firmware for the drive then it's updating that that may make a difference, not a new driver.

Ah i see now, thanks

I have just googled the firmware update and found one, But it was the same as the one installed. I loaded it anyway just in case but problem is still the same.

Ye sorry pal, I'm no blu-ray pro, never really used them, sorry bud, I'd suggest just trying google, might help, just dig deep I guess.

Goodluck

Back
Top Bottom