Installing memory

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, I currently have Corsair XMS3 1333mhz 4gb in 2gb sticks, if I got more memory, would it have to be in 2gb sticks? I have 4 slots on the motherboard, they are colour coded in sets of 2, I think I remember reading that if you have 2 sticks, they should be in matching colours

Last edited:
that's right. It's called dual channel. In order for dual channel to work the 2 memory modules need to be place in the specific ports that are linked together.

that's right. It's called dual channel. In order for dual channel to work the 2 memory modules need to be place in the specific ports that are linked together.

Indeed however that doesn't mean to say that you have to run them like this.

If you have 2 x 2Gb sticks and you want to purchase just a further 1 x 4GB stick and put it in one of the free slots it will work fine, it just wont be running in dual channel

Thanks for the replies, if I could use a 4gb stick, that would be better, as I've found one £10 cheaper than having it distributed between 2 sticks, and as my motherboard is upgradable to 16gb, if I decided to do that, any 2gb sticks would obviously be obsolete, so I think I made a bit of a mistake getting it in 2 sticks to start with

I've made the choice and in the end I bottled out and opted for the 2x2gb, here's the one I've ordered http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I was thinking it will be some time before I upgrade past 8gb memory as 4gb seems to have served my needs okay so far, and if I do decide to upgrade further, I will just find a deal on 16gb and sell my current memory, or perhaps save it to build a new one, I was considering building one for my step daughter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom