Backup upgrade

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, I might be about to get a second hard drive for backup, I currently have my Samsung spinpoint 1tb split into 2 partitions, which obviously wouldn't help me much if it failed, so I was thinking of getting another internal one the same, but I was just wondering if the external is the safest bet for backup drives, and if they are as reliable?

I'd go for an external drive as if your computer had gotten a virus or something like that you could disconnect where as an internal drive you'd need to turn the computer off and then disconnect the cables.

I'd go for an external drive as if your computer had gotten a virus or something like that you could disconnect where as an internal drive you'd need to turn the computer off and then disconnect the cables.

Thanks, as long as they're reliable I might have a look for a good external one, I'm cautious around western digital as I have 2 exactly the same in my cupboard failed on other people's laptops, not sure if that's just bad luck or not. I was tempted by this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1387235751&seller=&sr=1-1

Last edited:
An external hard drive is nothing more than an internal hard drive with a USB to SATA adapter. One isn't more reliable than the other. People like the external drives for backup because of the portability. I use a 4TB in an external enclosure myself.

Thanks for the replies, I will be ordering in the next few days, must have been a bad experience with WD then, or the people owning them did terrible things to them, the product number on the offending drives is WD5000BPVT, thanks again for the help, this backup situation has needed sorting for some time, I was torn between that and a dedicated sound card, but thought if my drive failed, I would regret getting the sound card, as I have years worth of photo's, video's, music, etc.

How about an external HDD docking like these:
double_esata_hdd_docking_station_2.jpg

Some support USB 3.0 which is really, really fast as I personally experienced. Cheaper on the long run and more resilient to even use SSD's if needed. There are protective covers for internal HDD's like these:
rubber_on.jpg

...to help archiving them away.

Some chases (or cases?!?!) already have built-in plug-n-play HDD docking. Just as a reference.

How about an external HDD docking like these:
double_esata_hdd_docking_station_2.jpg

Some support USB 3.0 which is really, really fast as I personally experienced. Cheaper on the long run and more resilient to even use SSD's if needed. There are protective covers for internal HDD's like these:
rubber_on.jpg

...to help archiving them away.

Some chases (or cases?!?!) already have built-in plug-n-play HDD docking. Just as a reference.

Thanks, my old case did have a slot on the front for hard drives which was handy, but I've not seen the docks as yet, it would probably put me over budget, unless I got an internal one and waited for a bit before getting the doc, I did however read something in favour of the external drives: they are out quite a lot, and not being used, so surely it would save on general wear and tear on the drive as well, not sure if how reliable my source was, but it makes sense to me.

If you are purely backing up on the drive definitely go external. Once you have done the back up it can be put away nice and tidy.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Computer Forums mobile app

If you are purely backing up on the drive definitely go external. Once you have done the back up it can be put away nice and tidy.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Computer Forums mobile app

Thanks, I think the external drive will be the way I will go, even though I prefer internal drives, I think I agree with the general consensus that external is the safest option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom