"Virtual" HD Resolution

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey guys,

I'm not entirely sure what my question is here but I know what I want to achieve.

Basically I am doing some contract work at the moment which requires me to build some software specifically for a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen and whilst I have a monitor at home and a big TV at home with this resolution my laptop doesn't support it and i'm not always in a position to be connected to my monitor or TV.

What i'm wondering is is there any virtual desktop software that will let me pretend it is 1920 x 1080? Even if the picture quality is poor and text is unreadable etc I just need to be able to see it for layout purpose.

ie I can make something 1920 x 1080 on my laptop but I have to scroll to see the whole thing and I just need an idea of spacing etc in full screen mode even if the graphics are bad.

I need some way to view a full 1920 x 1080 application on my laptop monitor which I think is only something like 1366 x 768 or something rather small!

Thanks BK but i'm not sure that any of those do what i'm looking for.
I'm looking to create either a virtual desktop that will allow me to set a "virtual resolution" that is not supported by my laptop or something like a virtual machine that will again allow me to set a resolution not supported by my laptop.

I think I may be looking for something that doesn't exist.

Afaik, I don't think this is possible. Running higher unsupported resolution objects will either return an error and not run, run downscaled or run with parts off screen. If a software tries to emulate a resolution that's not supported, it will simply try to override display's hardware limitations. This will either give blank screen or damage the display.

But who know, science is crazy.

Probably a stupid question, but can't you scale the program back to run at half resolution windowed?

960x540

That way you'd still get the same placement. Just a lower resolution to show for it, which would look fine on your screen

The problem is it's a program i'm making and although I plan on making it scalable in the future I have strict deadlines to hit and the whole resizing / scaling and positioning thing is additional time I don't have at the minute.

I'm largely working with my laptop plugged into my monitor / TV that does support full 1080p but it's just for when i'm not at my desk.

I;m getting by at the minute.

I don't have windows anymore, but on xp and earlier versions, you could find an "available modes" button buried in control panel, somewhere in monitor settings. You could use this to set a higher resolution than the monitor, which would scroll as you put your pointer at the screen edge. I used to use it a lot in windows 2000 since my laptop screen was only 800x600.

Alternatively, you can try this program: Infinite Screen Software Download & How To

Back
Top Bottom