Upgrade XP to WINDOWS 8

iphone33

Beta member
Hello fellow members of Computerforums.org I have a customer who bought a computer system running Windows XP last year on craiglist.

The customer is trying to install Windows 8 on his desktop machine which is currently running Windows XP. I don't know the system specs of the machine because he just called me about it. The customer is saying it's stuck at the splash screen and will not load into the desktop.

-----> He is getting an error message DPC or Watch Dog Violation <--- I googled it and got my answer. Also, how do you get around it? I personally, think the systems hardware might be to old to run Windows 8. All the drivers would have to be updated, but I won't know this until tomorrow? All help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast reply. The customer is trying to do a clean install of Windows 8 but is getting the watchdog violation error message. I'm suppose to go to his house at 11:00am to fix his computer issue.

The system the customer purchased was a (gaming system for his kid) this thing has 4 hard drives in it and two DVD optical drives. He had Windows XP installed on it. My customer bought a windows 32 bit windows 8 disk for 80 bucks. He took it home installed it, and now his desktop computer loads/freezes at the splas screen? The Blue Windows Screen starts showing the spinning little dots below but it hangs up and freezes for 20 (+) plus minutes?

I tried installing Windows XP and the same exact thing? After 90 minutes of getting know where. I left. I apologized to the customer I didn't charge him and he was cool about it. I never seen this issue. I checked the BIOS settings, I did F2 Automated recovery, tried F6 installed 3rd party driver for HDD. Any suggestions, Thanks, Mike

It's likely that if it had 4 hard drives, they were setup in some kind of raid or hooked up to a raid controller. If you don't have the driver for that loaded during install then it won't work.

Back
Top Bottom