Does a program like this exist?

FireDust

In Runtime
Hey guys, I would like to put a program that will detect my Notebooks location via Internet every time it connects to a network. In case my Notebook gets stolen or used without my knowing.
Is there any program like this that you know of or have a experience with?
Thanks in advance!

Not sure what you have on your netbook, but if somebody steals it and wants the data off of it, they aren't going to be connecting to a network.

Not sure what you have on your netbook, but if somebody steals it and wants the data off of it, they aren't going to be connecting to a network.

I got that kinda figured out.

Well if your really worried your lappy might grow legs, you could maybe try a program called Lojack. It allows you to track your stolen laptop via GPS:

LoJack for Laptops - Promo 2.3

Hmm. But how will be my notebook able to communicate via GPS? It doesn't have GPS built in, atleast I think.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------

Ok, I just opened the site and the first sentence that I read is: "Use GPS or wi-fi geolocation to display your laptop's location on a map." :D
So If I'm right, It doesn't have to have GPS. + This is exactly the program that I need, and It's not that expensive...

Whatever program you installed is okey. But a lot of wise people, they will reformat directly.

Whatever program you installed is okey. But a lot of wise people, they will reformat directly.

By "A lot of wise people" do you mean the stealers?
If so, I think that there would be only one more option for me, and that is, to find a device that you can put inside your notebook, and it functions as a GPS locating device. But on that site, they said: "Use GPS or wi-fi geolocation to display your laptop's location on a map." so, are there any notebooks with GPS built in, or you can buy a device that will function with this program?

Yes the stealers, i don't think so. For me, but as of now, there is no GPS installed inside the laptop. If there is, the stealers can disable your GPS. I will give you an example, the latest iphone have a software called "Find my Iphone". It is very useful the said software but the stealers able to delete that software or able to clean the device and installed new system.

I like this part on their site:
"If we don't recover your stolen computer, you'll be eligible for a Service Guarantee payment of up to $1000*.

*Conditions apply so please read our Service Agreement."
The service agreement is a link, but when you click it, it has been saying "File deleted or temporarily unavialable" for the last 2 days. Which I think is pretty funny.
If it would be true or based on the cost of your notebook, it would be awesome, can't wait when or rather If the service agreement gets back online.

There is no fool-proof method, but that doesn't mean it's not worth having. Not all theives are technologically savvy and may not no to do this stuff. They may also turn it on for the first time and that could be enough time to get a reading on where it might be before they start deleting and uninstalling software or wiping the computer.

There is no fool-proof method, but that doesn't mean it's not worth having. Not all theives are technologically savvy and may not no to do this stuff. They may also turn it on for the first time and that could be enough time to get a reading on where it might be before they start deleting and uninstalling software or wiping the computer.

Thats true, but they would have to connect to a network, and that I think, Is a big disadvantage. Obviously there are thieves that just take and use the notebook as it is, but I personally think thats pretty rare (Or maybe the other way around, Idk).

Back
Top Bottom