non-gaming build

I can speak from my experience that the integrated video on my i3-2105 (IGP 3000) aren't that great when it comes to watching movies. Details are lost from a 64 bit video devices (integrated or plug in). Even the text were hard to read while browsing the net.

Take it from me that an HD6670 video card which is a 128 bit video device will tremendously improve the screen. Priced very decently too.

An i3 with 4 gigs of memory and 500 gig drive along with a good 128 bit video card are going to be a darn good system for your mom. I started out with such a system but with a Celeron which worked quite well. An i3 upped the system tremendously. For a dual core with HTT you can't beat an i3.

In fact I kept my i3 system when I built myself an i5 system and using the HD6670 video card in it as well.

I can speak from my experience that the integrated video on my i3-2105 (IGP 3000) aren't that great when it comes to watching movies. Details are lost from a 64 bit video devices (integrated or plug in). Even the text were hard to read while browsing the net.

Take it from me that an HD6670 video card which is a 128 bit video device will tremendously improve the screen. Priced very decently too.

An i3 with 4 gigs of memory and 500 gig drive along with a good 128 bit video card are going to be a darn good system for your mom. I started out with such a system but with a Celeron which worked quite well. An i3 upped the system tremendously. For a dual core with HTT you can't beat an i3.

In fact I kept my i3 system when I built myself an i5 system and using the HD6670 video card in it as well.

The graphics card option is entirely up to the original poster but to say that an i3 can't power graphics to make clear text is simply not true.

There is no doubt that a separate graphics will improve screen quality but I still think that for a non gamer, desktop user office applications web browsing onboard graphics are more than adequate.

Now you have me considering getting her a little graphics card. Maybe.

New question: Is the stock CPU fan good enough?

Stock CPU fan will be more than adequate, unless you have some specific need for it being ultra silent or doing any overclocking stick with the stock CPU fan.

I'm still trying to decide between the 128 Gb SSD and the 500 Gb spinner. She leaves her computer on all the time, so she wouldn't benefit much from the faster boot time. Does the SSD make opening small programs like internet browsers noticeably faster/smoother?

I'm still trying to decide between the 128 Gb SSD and the 500 Gb spinner. She leaves her computer on all the time, so she wouldn't benefit much from the faster boot time. Does the SSD make opening small programs like internet browsers noticeably faster/smoother?

Not going to be worth the SSD in my opinion. She likely won't notice the increase anyway. And the computer as a whole will be faster so she really won't notice the difference. To be honest, I don't know if I'd notice the difference.

The graphics card option is entirely up to the original poster but to say that an i3 can't power graphics to make clear text is simply not true.

There is no doubt that a separate graphics will improve screen quality but I still think that for a non gamer, desktop user office applications web browsing onboard graphics are more than adequate.

That's the experience I had on my Celeron and my i3. The text was hard to read. They have a blurry look to it. Same thing with the video, it has some blurriness to it too.

Let him start with the IGP and he can decide for himself. I'll bet you he'll get a video card.

Looking good, 8GB is a bit overkill if all the computer will be used for is internet, email and office applications but it will be plenty.

Yeah, the whole thing is a little overkill. I think I've put together a PC that won't need to be replaced for many years, which is what I wanted to do.

Thanks for all the help everyone. This is a great forum.

Back
Top Bottom