Push And Pull On Radiator

xHurstx

Solid State Member
Hello thinking on investing in two Kraken x60's to cool my FX-8350 and my GTX 780 Graphics Card with the G10 Block From NZXT.
I am probably going to use a push and pull configuration for the radiators which got me thinking. Well i still haven't decided on which fans i will be using. But the push fan is best to be one with high Static Pressure. But the pull fan doesn't need push any air through a tight radiator. So surely a fan that boasts the best CFM would work better to extract the air in the radiator. Keeping all the fans the same isn't massively an issue for me.:confused:

Look up the Cougar brand on Newegg. I use those. Moves a right nice amount of air and stays quiet doing it.
You don't really need a push/pull. No two fans run at the same specs even out of the same batch from the factory. If you want to move a lot of air through a radiator pulling through to me would be best. The pull setup creates a low pressure front at the opposite side of the radiator and through the coils. A vacuum. Nature doesn't like a vacuum so the air rushes in to fill the space and gets sucked on out through the fan.
Pushing air in to the radiator the fan has to fight the static pressure build up. Even with another fan drawing out the air on the other side, static pressure reduces the efficiency.

And if you want to make sure the fan in a pulling setup doesn't have to fight static pressure build up cut the fan grill out of the case. Be sure to put a finger guard on the opening or inquisitive fingers may get hurt.

They work amazingly well in either direction. Like I explained, pulling is easy. Pushing you have to overcome static pressure.
The bang for the buck ratio is very good.

I watched a bench mark vid on YouTube just yesterday that proved push pull makes little difference or no difference. I am looking to get a water cooler and will be using pull config. Saves on fan costs as well

Only thing with radiators is the cleaning of them is a bit more awkward than a heatsink apparently.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom