non-gaming build

starik

Baseband Member
You guys helped me over a year ago when I built my first gaming PC. Now I want to build a computer for my mother to replace her 10-year-old Dell.

Is it worth it to buy the parts separately for a non-gaming build, or is it a better deal to get a pre-assembled package? The most CPU/graphics-intensive thing she will be doing is watching streaming movies.

No it can definitely still be worth picking out the individual parts and building them yourself. There are still savings to be had.

So do you have an idea in your head of what you'd like to build.
If were talking a web browser / MS Office type computer then a i3 with 4Gb RAM would be sufficient but if your looking for something with a little more grunt and longevity then you may want to look at an i5 with 8Gb RAM.

But I certainly wouldn't recommend anymore than this for the "average user".

For general use again I wouldn't recommend an SSD i'd go for the cheaper larger storage option of a spinner, 500Gb - 1Tb.

Graphics don't bother buying a card just get a MOBO with it integrated.

Thank you for your reply. I think 4Gb RAM will be plenty for her. I don't see storage space being an issue for her, as she won't be downloading any movies or other big files; what do you think about a 128 Gb SSD for faster boot times?

One good thing about doing it this way is that I'll be able to save some money on the peripherals - her monitor, mouse, and keyboard are still good.

EDIT: On second thought, I think she leaves her computer on most of the time, so maybe the SSD would be pointless.

The main thing I need advice on is which motherboard to pick. The CPU will be Intel, most likely i3.

Here is an i3 build I've put together Intel Core i3-3240, Asus Radeon HD 5450, Antec One - System Build - PCPartPicker, Coming to a total of $584.77USD..

That looks good as a starting point but for me i'd drop the graphics card completely, the onboard on the motherboard will do fine.

You could downgrade the Power Supply 600 Watts is probably double what you need for a build like this. Stay with quality but drop the wattage.

I'd personally drop the SSD for a 500Gb Spinner and save some cash.

And possibly look at the possibility of upgrading to a 4th Gen i3 - Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor (BX80646I34130) - PCPartPicker

and a much cheaper motherboard because, why pay more? Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (GA-H81M-DS2V) - PCPartPicker

Looking very nice now.

The final thing would be for you to decide if the SSD is worth it for your mum.

Despite never using one I hear the performance boost given by these things can be enormous!
However they do come with their drawbacks, price per GB is quite a bit more than a spinner, they have the potential to become "Locked" so you can't write to the whole 120Gb after a period of time, though depending on what article you read this isn't likely to be an issue for the average user as the HDD may well outlast the computer.

Final word on this a 120Gb for a Windows 7 installation isn't a huge amount, Windows 7 itself I believe is around 16Gb but that's providing you turn off paging and hibernation otherwise with a couple of basic apps installed like MS Office and all Windows Update etc your looking at 50Gb or so gone straight away? A 500Gb spinner will save you $30 odd which isn't a huge amount so the decision is yours.

Thank you for being so specific. I will probably follow that parts list to the letter, except for the SSD maybe. Haven't decided...

So you still recommend Windows 7 for the average user? I haven't tried 8 yet, but I don't like the look of it. Mom might though.

From my experience people will hate Windows 8 when they are first introduced and "forced" to use it however as time goes on they will get use to it and it'll be fine.

I was a bit of a Win 7 fanboy and hated Win8 at first but now I think it's brilliant, sure I don't think I have ever once used the Metro interface but that doesn't bother me. Straight to desktop mode and be done with it.

I believe that Win8 is actually faster than Win7 for most standard apps.

Back
Top Bottom