Max Memory

copiman

In Runtime
I have a laptop with 7 64-bit and 2G of RAM. Went to Crucial and ran there program to see what the max Ram was. It said 8G. Bought their suggestion of 2 4g sticks. With 8G the laptop is extremely slower and some things just freeze. Computer properties show 8G. Am I missing something here? Thought maxing out RAM would help.

What's the full specs of the computer. It also depends on the number of programs and proccesses that are running in the background meaning that are open but no window is open. Try turning the laptop of, Removing the battery and charger and hold the power button down for 30 seconds which will flush the ram and get rid of everything and turn the computer on again to see how it goes.

That seemed to work temporarily. Then everything went downhill from there. Errors galore. Going back to out of box. Other issues beyond the memory. Thanks for your help. I learned another bit of information about memory I did not know.

While it is not what we would like to first jump to it is entirely possible that the Ram is not entirely good. Could be same failure. When you purchased did you get the economy ram or the regular ram?

It is also the extra ram is showing some failures in other areas of the laptop though the first thing that comes to mind if this is brought to me is improperly marked ram, failing ram, some other type of compatibility issue. Yes by the way, going from 2Gb proper ram to 8Gb proper ram on Win7x64 should and would provide a pronounced performance increase.

i suspect compatibility.
What kind of PC kit is it?
Some older computers have compatibility issues with RAM which speed exceeds the recommended. So if the computer supports PC kits of "PC3-8500" you should do research before buying a PC3-10600 kit for it.

Thanks everyone, this is good information. Learning this stuff just gets me high. I will look into this after work. Opps, did I say a four letter word. Got ot go to work. Will post this evening. Thanks again. I appreciate you being here.

Howdy copiman. What laptop is it? Brand and model number.

It is a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5133. Let me bring this up to date:

About 2 months ago I installed 8G of Ram (original Ram 2G). Did a clean up and installed AV. There was no AV on it. All seemed well until the other day this code popped up: F3-F200-0002. After researching this code, all solutions pointed at RAM, HDD, or recovery. Removed the 8G and installed original 2G. Turns out Recovery was the one. Did a lot of updates (100+). Then it started freezing and same code. Re-installed 8G. No go. Later the same code returned. Tried recovery and it could not do it. Coded again.This code must be common for there were a lot of post in the Toshiba support forums. And they were not happy campers. By the way, this code is a Toshiba code only. FYI, the recovery was an internal Toshiba recovery (hold down zero key while powering on). Found that the second recovery somehow wiped the HDD. Reformatted using another PC and loaded 7. It is operating now. I am updating drivers at this time.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I thought I should post this for others to see, just in case it might help someone in the future.

Thank you everyone for your response.

Back
Top Bottom